Is there a way to set the hard menu key on the n800, to work as a 'shift' key with two possible behaviours? for example:

On a screen tap event, if the hard menu key is pressed, produce a right click (the same as holding the pen pressed for a second)

On hard menu key release, if no other action was taken while the key was pressed, show the usual application menu.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sduran For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
now thats a interesting idea

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I like this idea too. Sometimes getting right click to work by holding fails because I may release pressure and its activates a click (usually moving forward in a link, etc)

Only problem I see with the Hard Menu Key (I'm assuming this is the Appplication Switcher key), is that this key when held goes back to the home page. Or, at least it does on the N810, is the N800 different?

What about the Zoom Out key? It still zooms out when clicked, but I'm sure a hack could delay it so the hold button and click would work. I guess the same thing goes for the Hard Menu key, but I'd prefer not to lose the functionality of holding it to view the Home Screen.

on the N810 it would be the button below the dpad, next to the keyboard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N810-open.jpg

on the N800 its found in the middle of a trio of buttons below the dpad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N800_frontside1.jpg

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
None of these functions work.

Holding one of the two keys left of the screen results in exiting resp. minimizing the browser, pressing the button below the dpad shows the main menu.
Any clicking does not help.

I had some ideas/req similar to this posted here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...89&postcount=3

It would be a nice feature/modification.

Since the last upgrade my right click menu is broke... no more 'open link / new window option.... and I have to "copy link location" and paste it into a manually opened new window.

i poked at the button in question some, and right now the menu shows on key down.

if this was moved to key up (as in, when its released), then one is free to implement some kind of trigger while the key is in down/pressed state.

the same can probably be done with other keys, as i have sometimes seen the plus and minus key be registered multiple times on some software.

problem is that this will have to be a community patch, as any enhancement bug filed over at maemo will probably just end up with "fixed in fremantle", meaning its a 50/50 chance one will even see it on the N8x0's...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
While it's a good idea, I would be against it for me on the grounds that I am left-handed, and any combination of Key + Stylus is right out for me in the current OS.

well i would see it in addition to the existing way.

if there was a way to make it a press then tap, rather then a press and hold, it would be even better...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
menu+click for right click has been done already and works, look here :http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...nch#post188742