something had to be wrong with the pdf file for that iPhone user,since the os can read pdf's natively.

As for that conference with spotty wifi, I say the tablet experience is greatly enhanced by being able to tether. Since I've gotten that covered , most of my iPhone envy has subsided. :-)

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
In fact, i really recommend the couple iPhone 3Gs + N810.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Yes, you definitely should not stop concidering not to target your brain on abandoning iphone purchase cancelation aproval.

I'm not sure if any of you have played with the iPhone 3GS but it loads extremely complex web pages in a matter of seconds. Very close to desktop performance.

Until more devices are running on ARMv7 cores, the 3GS will be ahead of everyone (Palm Pre isn't too shabby but its SDK doesn't even exist yet).

I'm using a Google Ion (HTC Magic) and I truly love the OS, but after using the new iPhone I have to say I'm tempted to get back on the Apple train... it is ridiculously fast as a web browser... and everything else for that matter. My poor Android phone takes 15-30 seconds (which was respectable...) on average to pull on a complex page and the 3GS is rendering it in 4-5 seconds with much faster scrolling and zooming.

So while it may not "multi-task"... the fact that it does everything 3-4x faster than everything makes my android phone pale in comparison.

The platform is maturing so rapidly there isn't much "if or in the future" anymore, you can pretty much do anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherifnix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
And it doesn't have a physical keyboard. And it has a closed and draconian application ecosytem.
Mostly open application ecosystem: 467 apps
Closed and draconian application system: 55,000 apps

I'll take #2, please.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have none of those.

The best app for productivity QuickOffice costs 20 bucks. 20 damn bucks! But I can open, edit, manipulate MS Office files while on the go - something that I've oddly needed when I didn't have my laptop.
I'd pay 2 to 3 times that, if it worked well! Actually, check out Documents to Go, if you are willing to wait for Excel editing; $4.99.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But the NIT has very few high end 3rd party apps that has any updates. Skype, Gizmo, Rhapsody (ok, I don't use this one at all)... no update since 2007 for the most part.
I'd call Skype abandonware on the NIT. Rhapsody is US only, and that and stuff like Gizmo and Fring are services more than apps (yeah, I know). I would go so far as to say there is 1 commercial app: Wayfinder. And do you suppose developers are going to be encouraged by that one?

This is almost as painful as watching Palm die all over again. As soon as I get some funds I'm going to get an iPod Touch. I'll keep the n800 around for a better browser, bluetooth keyboard, and maybe storage, but I doubt I'll use it more than once a month, according to my needs.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Which, incredibly enough, do not include ANY of the emulators and virtual machines I use daily on my N810.

When I was a PalmOS fanboy, I used to blurb about how the POS had 100,000 apps while PocketPC had 30,000 or even less.
However, while PocketPC had tens of full DOS emulators, in ten years all PalmOS got was a shabby "DOS-like" useless command prompt. That always remembered me I was being a troll. However, the number of apps argument managed to fool the average forum user, so all was OK

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA

I'll take #2, please.
a) I'll stick with #1, thanks.

b) Where'd you get that number of Android apps from? (since my next post after the one you quoted makes it clear I'm comparing the iPhone to Android devices)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Out of all of the apps available on the Maemo platform, I use about 8 of them: Evince, Privoxy, Tear (god I love Tear), Xournal (I install this first), MPlayer, Fring, Skype, DialCentral... ok, that's about it.

On my iPhone, about 10 - two of which are games.

I'm not too worried about the number of apps. I just like quality apps that do what's needed.

I'll take #2, please.
467 + whatever Linux apps that work on the tabet

55,000 apps + whatever people can get on there without Apple breaking with an update that Apple doesn't want you to have

The reason why when I look at all three platforms and prefer Android is it offers the best of both world. The closed useful apps (though both Android and the iPhone have useless apps galore) and the possibility of open apps without an update crushing them or hindering them.

I'm not sure if any of you have played with the iPhone 3GS but it loads extremely complex web pages in a matter of seconds. Very close to desktop performance.
Haven't tried the 3GS only 3G and touch. Though the browser is indeed fast. Though the question is which is faster for your purpose, web browsing + chat and whatever windows I have open, or web browsing + push notifications and whatever multitasking you can do through Safari's tabs (meebo, etc)

Though battery life favors the iPhone in that instance. Less processes running. Though I'd be interested in a speed comparasion of those two aspects.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: