Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
I continue to have trouble connecting to the wireless network at work with my 770 (latest supported firmware) and N800 (latest firmware). We are using WPA encryption. When I try to connect, I get the generic "Network Error - Retry Again?" message.

Is there any way for me to try a command line network connection with debug mode or log files? I can't believe my Nokia devices haven't been able to connect to my work for 2 years after firmware upgrades!

The frustrating thing is my laptop, PSP and my new iPhone connect to the network just fine. Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot? I would open a bug report, but I don't have any data to submit.

I have the exact same problem, my work's wifi has a WPA encryption and a MAC address filter and every time I try to connect, it gives me the "Network Connection Error" message....its been really frustrating having the internet tablet with no internet...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The first thing to do would be to establish the kind of network and authentication/encryption you have at work - perhaps your laptop can provide this information once it has established a connection?

It is a Cisco AP with 802.11b/g and WPA (not WPA2). Since all my other devices connect just fine, I am baffled on what is going on with the N800.

Is the Cisco using any form of EAP/LEAP/PEAP authentication? Check RFE #1017.

The Nokia Internet Tablets don't support any form of EAP/LEAP/PEAP although there has been some efforts in the past to create WPA supplicants, and even a Cisco WPA supplicant. Your best bet would be to vote up support for EAP etc. in Bugzilla (there are several rfe/bug reports) and perhaps file a roadmap entry.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-07-11 at 05:25.

We aren't running EAP/LEAP/PEAP. Any other suggestions? Is there any way to get more error details on the N800?

My final suggestion at this stage is to check dmesg.

If it is an entirely bog standard WiFi network (with regular authentication/encryption) and you can't progress any further then next option would be to open a new bug report with full details of the Access Point and with luck Nokia will test the N800 against a similar device.

this sucks. I'm having the same problem, can't connect to my network at work on my n800.

I am a clueless marketing person, but I checked after reading these posts and our network supports 802.11 b/g/n, works in WPA or WPA2 mode, and does not use any type of EAP/LEAP/PEAP encryption.

I think we use an Apple server, if that's relevant. Surely there's some setting somewhere on the N800 or the network software that's causing this problem?

BTW: what is dmesg and how do I check it?

Instal and open xterm, then type the command "dmesg" at the xterm command prompt.