What i'm really looking for is a media center (preferably a linux one) with a web interface where i can control it using my N800.

B ack in the olden days when I was young and naive I bought rudeo (www.rudeo.com) for my pocket pc, which has exactly the functionality I am looking for. I am not interested in streaming content to the device itself as I can do this already using uShare and canola (which is very impressive btw).

I have looked at Freevo and MythTV but these seem to be mostly geared up towards video content and Im not putting a TV Tuner into the pc that will be the media server. I want to be able to browse my music on the N800 and then play it locally on the server.

I though that SlimServer would be good for this but I didnt manage to get it working properly. The interface on the N800 for this is superb maybe i should just try and get this working again.

Anyway if any one has any thoughts on this then please let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
The good old Xbox (not the 360 one) serves as a pretty damn good media center in my opinion. I use the Xbox Media Center. It has also web interface for controlling the playback of music/video from a web browser. I've used it with my N800 and it works relatively ok. It isn't optimized for this small screen, but I'd imagine it would be easy to modify it a bit to suit the screen of N800 a bit better.

Good about the Xbox is that it is now really cheap. Of course you need to have a modchip installed, but those cost only something like 20$.

www.teemuharju.net

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I fully agree : XBMC is a very very good mediacenter !
there is even an Ajax control page for it !
You don't even have to open your xbox to instal XBMC : you can soft mod it (via an exploit) and that's it ...
Then if you want you can install a bigger hard drive but I choose to have my music on a share on the network ...
Fred

Yeah i didnt really want to go down that route. I have an Xbox but its a 360 and if I want to put one in each room in the house its cheaper to have a small pc of some kind. I was thinking along the miniITX line. Also I dont really want to have any more windows pcs (MediaCenter or otherwise) on the network.

Also I store all my media on a central server which is accessed via samba on other pcs in the network.

Mike

Originally Posted by knoxy View Post
Also I dont really want to have any more windows pcs (MediaCenter or otherwise) on the network.

Also I store all my media on a central server which is accessed via samba on other pcs in the network.

Mike
My HTPC is based on Linux running Freevo, but if you want to check out live HTPC distro you can run from a CD, check out http://geexbox.org/en/index.html. Free and based on Linux.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Before I got Windows Vista, I use to,use Meedio, which was better than media center as it's all customisable..

I hope there will be a remote app for the n800 soon. My old Sony Clie has infrared so it was pretty easy to get hold of a remote app.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
The best solution I found was old Xbox which is running Linux and Music player daemon and control it with Maemo Music player client (you can find both here: http://mmpc.garage.maemo.org/)

XBMC web interface isn't very good, but MMPC is very handy and fast. And those old Xboxes cost even less than 100 euros (or dollars) so you can't find any cheaper PC's

I use VNC to a Windows XP box. It's clumsy.

I play a lot of DivX and XviD videos with a dual-output Nvidia 6800 video card, and I'm not sure a Linux distro could handle the video drivers, dual output, the codecs, and everything else that is necessary.

If Linux can do that, with a simpler interface than VNC, I'm willing to install a dual boot scenario to try it out, but I would want my N770 to function like a remote control, with easy access to play/pause, volume, and seek control.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by knoxy View Post
I though that SlimServer would be good for this but I didnt manage to get it working properly. The interface on the N800 for this is superb maybe i should just try and get this working again.

Anyway if any one has any thoughts on this then please let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...verAndNokia770

Go there and read that I heard people arround here to get it to work on the N800.

Edit:

Yes here is the link where they state it does work.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...80&postcount=2

Last edited by SeRi@lDiE; 2007-03-27 at 19:04.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
I use VNC to a Windows XP box. It's clumsy.

I'm not sure a Linux distro could handle the video drivers, dual output, the codecs, and everything else that is necessary.
I don't think any of those is really a problem. Many people use Linux as a base for HTPC. Don't know about the simpler UI though..