Has anyone tried HSP with an N810W? I'm curious, because while browsing GConf, I've noticed a key:
Code:
/system/osso/connectivity/BT/unsupported_hw = [ RX-48 ]
Short description: HW IDs where BT headsets are unsupported
So I'm curious, as I see three possibilities:
  • It can sort of work, but is unsupported (maybe interference with WiMAX)
    • This key totally prevents trying it
    • This key only warns against it
  • It can't work for other reasons, and this key prevents trying.
  • It could work quite well, but someone (Nokia? Sprint?) didn't want it to, so this stops it.

The hacker in me wants badly to know what this setting does, but I only have an N800; if you have an N810W and a headset, and want to investigate this, I'd be willing to walk you through editing this setting. Or, if anyone knows, they can just tell us all.

Disclaimer: Obviously, it's possible that trying to circumvent this crashes your device and loses all your data -- or even conceivably bricks your device, although I think that's extremely unlikely. I can't be responsible for what happens to your device, with or without my guidance, but I won't advise anything I wouldn't do to my own.

Last edited by Benson; 2009-01-14 at 20:34.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
From vi /etc/init.d/bluez-utils:

if [ "$HW" = "RX-48" ]; then rm -f /etc/bluetooth/audio.service
fi
So I'm presuming, if hsp doesn't work, that they will need that file?

EDIT: May as well post the contents of the audio.service file:
[Bluetooth Service]
Identifier=audio
Name=Audio service
Description=Bluetooth Audio service
Autostart=true

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-01-14 at 20:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Has anyone tried HSP with an N810W? I'm curious, because while browsing GConf, I've noticed a key:
Code:
/system/osso/connectivity/BT/unsupported_hw = [ RX-48 ]
Short description: HW IDs where BT headsets are unsupported
So I'm curious, as I see three possibilities:[list][*]It can sort of work, but is unsupported (maybe interference with WiMAX)
  • This key totally prevents trying it
  • This key only warns against it[/list[
  • It can't work for other reasons, and this key prevents trying.
  • It could work quite well, but someone (Nokia? Sprint?) didn't want it to, so this stops it.

The hacker in me wants badly to know what this setting does, but I only have an N800; if you have an N810W and a headset, and want to investigate this, I'd be willing to walk you through editing this setting. Or, if anyone knows, they can just tell us all.

Disclaimer: Obviously, it's possible that trying to circumvent this crashes your device and loses all your data -- or even conceivably bricks your device, although I think that's extremely unlikely. I can't be responsible for what happens to your device, with or without my guidance, but I won't advise anything I wouldn't do to my own.
I use the Seidio 2-in-1 with both my Palm Centro and Nokia N810W:
http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/11/treo_2in1_stere.html
since this is a wired headset and not a bluetooth headset, it works well for watching videos or listening to music. I haven't tried my Bluetooth headset with it.

I can pair my Bluetrek to it later and test. I'll back it up first and then do a test if you want to post a walk-through on what to change? I'll post the results.
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Ok, in brief:
  • Try pairing the HSP and doing sound through the headset. It is expected to fail, either on pairing or playback.
  • Add the audio.service file, and comment the if/fi lines qwerty12 quoted in bluez-utils. Try pairing and playing sound again. (For consistency, it may be best to delete the entire configuration (/system/ in gconf) for the paired headset between tests.)
  • Alter /system/osso/connectivity/BT/unsupported_hw -- probably removing the RX-48 entry and leaving an empty list is fine, but deleting the key may not be. (And test again.)

For the last test, you should be as near non-RX-48 status as we currently know how to make it, so if it doesn't work... either there's some other setting somewhere, or there's something singular about the hardware.

If, OTOH, it does work at this point, then maybe test for interference with WiMAX; if so, they probably disabled it because they felt that rendered it useless, and we've got a cool hack with niche utility. If it seems unaffected, or no worse than WiFi, then it looks like a political issue, i.e. Sprint just didn't want people using their N810Ws as VoIPphones, and we are t3h liberators! (Not a conclusion I want to jump to prematurely, but a fairly obvious one if testing does turn out that way.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
If, OTOH, it does work at this point, then maybe test for interference with WiMAX; if so, they probably disabled it because they felt that rendered it useless, and we've got a cool hack with niche utility. If it seems unaffected, or no worse than WiFi, then it looks like a political issue, i.e. Sprint just didn't want people using their N810Ws as VoIPphones, and we are t3h liberators! (Not a conclusion I want to jump to prematurely, but a fairly obvious one if testing does turn out that way.)
I hadn't thought of that, and I was wondering where you were going with this. What frequency does Bluetooth operate on? (mobileinfo says 2400-2483.5Mhz in US) I don't think this is a interference hack. I've used both Skype and Gizmo on my N810W without fail, but never with a HSP. If some party prevented Bluetooth audio services to prevent VoIP, it was a poor implementation.

Thanks for the write-up, I'll test this out. I'm really curious about Nokia's logic behind this one.

Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I hadn't thought of that, and I was wondering where you were going with this. What frequency does Bluetooth operate on? (mobileinfo says 2400-2483.5Mhz in US) I don't think this is a interference hack.
Was thinking from PLLs or such, internally. The broadcast signals should be clean.

I've used both Skype and Gizmo on my N810W without fail, but never with a HSP. If some party prevented Bluetooth audio services to prevent VoIP, it was a poor implementation.
But you can't stop use of the speakers and earphone jack; those are for music and video. But HSP is (seen as) only for VoIP, and could be seen as putting the biggest dent in it possible without killing everything else... OTOH, since when do wireless providers even care what harmless features they kill?

Anyway, it was the best explanation I could think of.

since when do wireless providers even care what harmless features they kill?
Good point!
  • T-Mobile killed Danger's software deployments for the T-Mobile Sidekick (Danger Hiptop) for the first two years. As a Java/Python developer, I had a dev key for a device I couldn't distribute software on.
  • Cingular killed a number of features on the Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) that could only be restored through XDA developer hacks.
  • AT&T Wireless disabled features on the Motorola V600 that could only be restored by registering as a Motorola developer and getting the media CD (or getting it through XDA-developers, howardforums, etc).

...yeah, I've pretty much had to hack every handset I've owned to relieve myself of carrier's whims.

Resolution of sorts:
  • N810W will not play HSP, but a tweak in /etc/bluetooth/audio.service makes it work. (NOT what we've been looking at here; probably working around it though?)
  • A bug was filed, and a Nokian responded indicating that this was deliberately disabled due to WiMAX interference, and that it was restorable by the audio.service tweak, or by a gconf edit (remembered as a boolean, but I'm betting it was really the unsupported-hw key).

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
gconf, hsp, n810w, wimax