Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I personally think there is a major advantage to inertial scrolling. It reduces the amount of physical movement and interaction you need to do with the device. With non-inertial panning there is a 1-1 movement ratio, essentially: you need to move your hand the "same distance" that you want to move a web page. Throwing and catching is much nicer. It's rather obvious after you play with it for a while.

Then again, iPhone isn't the first device with this. Picsel browser had this in its browser already years ago, and it worked very nicely with it.

a couple of apps (kagu and UKMP) already use inertial scrolling on the 770 and n800, so maybe someone can a plug in for the web browser.

Sigh. I had hoped they would tap into the Power VR hardware by now. Doesn't even have to be for 3D, just accelerate the interface so its smoother.

got my answer tonight.....

nope, it doesnt.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post

nope, it doesnt.
Actually, it does. I've used it first hand on the N800 with the new OS, which sure beats having to experience it over a web show.

The Youtube performance on these very small, portable devices is finally acceptable given that context.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I personally think there is a major advantage to inertial scrolling. It reduces the amount of physical movement and interaction you need to do with the device. With non-inertial panning there is a 1-1 movement ratio, essentially: you need to move your hand the "same distance" that you want to move a web page. Throwing and catching is much nicer. It's rather obvious after you play with it for a while.

Then again, iPhone isn't the first device with this. Picsel browser had this in its browser already years ago, and it worked very nicely with it.
Another advantage is you can put off your finger ealier such that it not hides areas of the screen while you try to read the scrolling items!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post

nope, it doesnt.
So far, you are the only person that has come to that conclusion, even after all the bloggers, Engadget, Gizmodo and others said it was fine.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
So far, you are the only person that has come to that conclusion, even after all the bloggers, Engadget, Gizmodo and others said it was fine.
Garage is still holding out for performance you'd get from a quad cpu desktop.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Garage is still holding out for performance you'd get from a quad cpu desktop.
Well, they did just announce those quad-core ARMs this past week...

Originally Posted by tubbycricket View Post
I also questioned inertial scrolling for web browsing. For finding songs, it makes sense, since there is just so much to go through and non-inertial scrolling would make it feel like you're dragging it. But for websites, I don't see an advantage. Imagine moving your scroll wheel on your mouse to view a website, and the scrolling just doesn't end until you have to stop it yourself.
Tubbycrick:

If your mouse has a button on the wheel Firefox will do this....