"This year a slew of companies have launched competing Android tablet devices. A lot of rhetoric has been spun about how Android’s open source ecosystem gives manufacturers and consumers an advantage.

Unfortunately, the current crop of Android tablets aren’t nurturing open source at all.
"

Project Gus: The Sad State of Open Source in Android tablets

Comment: Sadly at the moment Android tablets and phones are more or less the only serious somewhat OSS offerings available.

The run-of-the-mill Chinese sweatshop factories are churning out Android devices but - even forgetting the political implications of buying into Chinese state corporatism - these fly-by-night operators are sharing none of their GPL'ed source code! Cheapo Chinese Android tablets certainly aren't for me...

Meego on ARM by a trustworthy OEM seems to be what I'm still impatiently waiting for.

There has been some half-hearted moves to free some of the proprietary ARM graphics support and hopefully those efforts lead somewhere. Intel's pact with the devil known as Imagination for their closed-source GMA-x00 graphics acceleration tack-on chips helps keep Intel out of the picture for the foreseeable future.

Still, I could consider getting Android-on-ARM tablet or phone if the hardware was open and Meego could be installed and supported (by both kernel and Meego developers) at a later stage.

But just where are all the Meego-compatible ARM-based devices, even rumoured ones? If only Nokia and Intel branded devices (whenever available) will be supported it is going to be a tough uphill battle to gain mind- and marketshare.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
There has been some half-hearted moves to free some of the proprietary ARM graphics support and hopefully those efforts lead somewhere. Intel's pact with the devil known as Imagination for their closed-source GMA-x00 graphics acceleration tack-on chips helps keep Intel out of the picture for the foreseeable future.
Unfortunately, lack of open drivers is a plague that persists across all desktop (sans Intel) and embedded devices. Even ARM and Qualcomm's cores use closed drivers, never mind Nvidia.

Unfortunately, I know of no embedded OpenGL ES capable graphics chipset with open drivers. Perhaps if AMD/ATi hadn't sold theirs off, but that's neither here nor there.

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Unfortunately, lack of open drivers is a plague that persists across all desktop (sans Intel) and embedded devices. Even ARM and Qualcomm's cores use closed drivers, never mind Nvidia.

Unfortunately, I know of no embedded OpenGL ES capable graphics chipset with open drivers. Perhaps if AMD/ATi hadn't sold theirs off, but that's neither here nor there.
Qualcomm recently opensourced Snapdragon with Adren GPU drivers. Sources are here.

And Intel's proprietary embedded graphics chipsets from Imagination (gma500/600/? for netbooks and handhelds) are apparently unmaintainable under Linux...

A month ago Qualcomm made their half-assed first effort at openness by publishing half-proprietary Linux drivers. Maybe that eventually leads to greater openness or at minimum remotely tolerable maintainability.

I remain hopeful that the Linaro cooperative and their hardware customers would be able to convince some ARM / graphics licensee(s) to come out and play open.

With ARM really depending on Linux (the kernel) and open-source in general for so much it is painful to see the ARM ecosystem locked down by proprietary (but crucial) components.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Strong evangelism talk.
Emotional rhetorics > Facts....
Would be much appreciated if it's reversed...

Strong facts that can rile up emotional responses.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-07-27 at 06:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Strong evangelism talk.
Emotional rhetorics > Facts....
Would be much appreciated if it's reversed...

Strong facts that can rile up emotional responses.
I generally tend to agree with you, but I'm not sure what you're really saying here...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I get it. People let their emotions out before... well, really stating the facts. It's like a propaganda rally. You're all sweaty, worked up, excited... and only will go in the same direction as the angry mob ahead and alongside you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I get it. People let their emotions out before... well, really stating the facts. It's like a propaganda rally. You're all sweaty, worked up, excited... and only will go in the same direction as the angry mob ahead and alongside you.
What he said

ps: not saying the article is incorrect; but we could do with more facts before throwing the strong sentiments..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What he said

ps: not saying the article is incorrect; but we could do with more facts before throwing the strong sentiments..
I'd appreciate any factual corrections and also suggestions for improving the emotional rhetoric where it is IYO warranted.

Someone looked into the matter of availability of Android source (wrt. preloading OEMs) and found the state of affairs rather dismal. That is on top of other grey areas (environment, applications) in Android what comes to open source.

Meego is still finding its way, but we should also try to understand where the competition is. For me openness is very important because it promotes both sustainability and security (and inter-operability etc.).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Someone looked into the matter of availability of Android source (wrt. preloading OEMs) and found the state of affairs rather dismal. That is on top of other grey areas (environment, applications) in Android what comes to open source.
Yes, completely agreed on this point. My 'hyper emotional' comment was partly directed at the xenophobia (borderline racism?) toward chinese in your original comment

Meego is still finding its way, but we should also try to understand where the competition is. For me openness is very important because it promotes both sustainability and security (and inter-operability etc.).
On a practical level, inter-operability may also mean you have to deal with DRM and proprietary technology (read also: N900 Flash 10 debacle).

I conceptually agree with your remark, but it doesn't always work out as simple and easy as it's implied.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: