Notices

I was looking at some Firefox plug-ins for Active X and found a multimedia plug-in called PicLens. This is a rich multimedia viewer of a 3D wall of online pictures and videos. It takes content from engines such as Google, Flickr, and videos from YouTube. It is very fluid and has a really nice "eye-candy" look. Heck, it's also fun to use all while being useful and easy of use.

Check it out HERE or in the following link: http://www.piclens.com/

I attached some screenshot of the app/plug-in while in use on my computer.
Attached Images

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Now we only need 3D...

Sounds difficult if you don't have 3D functionality unlocked on the processor.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
hi

We are piclens users since forever and it's just what you said, actually we had this concept (not 3d) but a world of thumbnails where you could zoom, since version 1, but with 3D locked and little memory to hold a lot of items (thumbs) in memory it's a little impossible today.

What I can say? we are working on Canola3 (or better our framework) for version 3, and these things will be more "doable" - not saying that we will.. or we will be in trouble if we are not able to do that

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Oh, I did not know it didn't have 3D unlocked. I wonder why Nokia does that, why would they put it in their phones but not the ITs?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The TI OMAP they use in the N800 and N810 has hw 3D acceleration, but TI never built the chip for a screen resolution of 800x480. So it isn't possible to get fullscreen hardware acceleration at full resolution. The other problem is that since the OMAP isn't built for 800x480, the screen is not connected to the OMAP directly. This is the cause for tearing and means that hw accelerated 3D wouldn't be as fast as desired.
Also, there exists no Linux driver for kernel 2.6 yet, and the producer doesn't seem to be interested in kernel 2.6 support. Only kernel 2.4 is supported as of now.
Maybe Nokia could do something about the missing kernel driver, but the hardware issues cannot be solved and we have to wait for the next-generation tablet.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Yorker: I think py said it all: the problem is that the company has different terms for linux (the 3D company) and if you mix together the resolution problem pycage said, you will get the point. :/

Py : the 3D rendering Actually it's fast, BUT it has the awful tearing the same way. I have tested it couple of times, and my only fear is that the future devices would keep this problem. But you know something? 7700 doesn't have that tearing problem, the bandwith was ok on it that's what tricks me out in the TI boards... anyways, we are working on the 3430 since TI made it available

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Last edited by handful; 2008-06-18 at 10:19.