Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I looked around a bit in the usual places but it seems there's still no simple SIP-compliant VoIP-application out there. Or did I miss something?
From what I understand, Gizmo locks you in with one provider (thats how I read it) and offers functionality I wouldnt need. All I want is to use one of my 2 existing SIP-accounts with my 770. Can I?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
I feel your pain. I've been working with asterisk end solutions and would give anything for a SIP client on the 770. If you run the regular version of Gizmo you can use a second provider and there are details for using it with a SIP provider. But there seems to be no info for the 770

After much googling I found a few mentions of SIP on the 770, such as Tapioca, etc. But it doesn't appear to be anyone actively working on it. Go figure.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
You're right. No real SIP solution available for our prefered device
The 2nd account facility is available for version 2 of Gizmo Project: the last release for N770 is still version 1 despite the new release posted last week... what a pity!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Thank you - now at least I know that a) I'm not the only one who looks for SIP and b) I really did not miss an application.

Gizmo, btw, would not be what I'm after even if it had this "wnd account"-thing. I always feel its too "big" (I don't want to use the word "bloated" here because Gizmo seems to offer good features for its size, but they're no features I need).

I would feel very comfortable with something like Linphone. Linphone can even be run as a command line application and could be further stripped down by not including the part that does the video conferencing.

Can somebody try to port it? Christmas wuld be a nice release date

Last edited by benny1967; 2006-10-18 at 07:19.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967
I would feel very comfortable with something like Linphone. Linphone can even be run as a command line application and could be further stripped down by not including the part that does the video conferencing.

Can somebody try to port it? Christmas wuld be a nice release date
Check this out. I haven't tested it myself but it is a command line SIP client for 770 implemented using Nokia's own Sofia SIP stack.

- Teemu

www.teemuharju.net

Originally Posted by teemu
Check this out. I haven't tested it myself but it is a command line SIP client for 770 implemented using Nokia's own Sofia SIP stack.

- Teemu
Thanks for the link. I've followed the instructions about the repository but I can't find any Communication category nor sofsip app after having updated my list of packages... any clue?

Put a / at the end of the repository url : Web Address: http://jonek.hexbox.de/maemo/

Also, the command has an underscore instead of a dash: sofsip_cli --media-impl=fsgst

Originally Posted by BanditRider
Put a / at the end of the repository url : Web Address: http://jonek.hexbox.de/maemo/
Thank you for this, but even with this extra slash, it still soesn't work: no "Communication" section, no sofsip entry in "All" section... Any new clue? TIA.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Quote From Jonek's page :

Web Address: http://jonek.hexbox.de/maemo
Distribution: mistral
Components: user

It worked for me.
Do you have other Application Manager issues?
Check the log.