I have a handful of .lit files which I want to use with FBReader. I converted them with convertlit but the resulting html in the OEB package (like many ebooks I have gotten my hands on) has hard returns on each line. This makes them flow poorly on the N800.

On straight text files could always do some search and replace combos to get rid of them and I always ended up with a, more or less, readable text.

The OEB package uses an HTML file for its source and I don't know how to do this sort of fix on an HTML file. Each line is wrapped in a both paragraph and span tags.

Thanks!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't know how you do it with straight text, but the same search and replace should work. Just load the file in your simple text editor and have at it. There are probably even easier ways...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Have you tried converting to *.pdb files?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
I just converted a book in pdb using plucker but decided to stick with html because:

- pdb was not showing images
- html files just show better formatting, by indicating on the lower bar the position of each chapter, and keeping the CR when present in the original file

If anyone knows of options in plucker to show this (both images and formatting, I even read that html doesn't support images while pdb does while it appears that it is the oppposite) I'd like to convert all to pdb to have something interchangeable with my Zire 72 and at the same time something more compact.

I use Plucker to generate pdb files with images every day as sort of an offline news reader. However, you have to have the Python PIL module installed (Python Image Library) so that Plucker can convert the images.

- Jim

I have been having really good results converting Lit, PDF, HTML, etc to FBreader fb2 files using a program called Book Designer.

You can find info about Book Designer HERE - MobileRead Wiki Book Designer

Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
I use Plucker to generate pdb files with images every day as sort of an offline news reader. However, you have to have the Python PIL module installed (Python Image Library) so that Plucker can convert the images.
I'm using Plucker on a Windows XP pc. What should I check in order to be sure of haviing the above mentioned library?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
I just converted a book in pdb using plucker but decided to stick with html because:

- pdb was not showing images
- html files just show better formatting, by indicating on the lower bar the position of each chapter, and keeping the CR when present in the original file

If anyone knows of options in plucker to show this (both images and formatting, I even read that html doesn't support images while pdb does while it appears that it is the oppposite) I'd like to convert all to pdb to have something interchangeable with my Zire 72 and at the same time something more compact.

I use Sunrise 0.42j on my Linux box (KDE desktop) it's fabulous for generating pdb files. The GUI is nice and allows for manipulation of many parameters. If you're running Windows then you would probably want SunriseXP

If the webpage that I'm converting is all on one page then I use .html to save the page and have no issues with images. You just need to place the whole folder with images and html on your card. I do have to go in and edit the html - for image location if I've saved the page on my desktop and am now moving it to my SD card in my N810. However, if you save the page to .html directly on your Nokia then the images should be linked properly.

I use Sunrise when I'm wanting to save an entire website with multiple links and images. That's where Sunrise really shines. I've converted entire online textbooks to .pdb format.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
If the webpage that I'm converting is all on one page then I use .html to save the page and have no issues with images. You just need to place the whole folder with images and html on your card. I do have to go in and edit the html - for image location if I've saved the page on my desktop and am now moving it to my SD card in my N810. However, if you save the page to .html directly on your Nokia then the images should be linked properly.

I use Sunrise when I'm wanting to save an entire website with multiple links and images. That's where Sunrise really shines. I've converted entire online textbooks to .pdb format.
Before my HDD died some time ago I sued to have it installed, in both worlds (Linux and Windows), now I am still installing some of the old apps because of so much time to work on the PC...

I used to download bunches of informations (the newspaper home page and more, the tv guide, etc.) and transfer them (at the time) on my beloved (and now stolen ) Sony TH55

The html that I am using, tough, are not the result of a "Save page as..:" but they come from the extraction of regularly bought .lit ebooks, de-DRMd (what an awful neo-logism..) using ConvertLit, so I have to add the link to the image manually. Not that much of a work, anyway. C.Lit calls the front page always with the same name so it's just a matter of cutting and pasting from another previously modified file

I just have to remember to create a different folder for each book.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by kamishki View Post
I have a handful of .lit files which I want to use with FBReader. I converted them with convertlit but the resulting html in the OEB package (like many ebooks I have gotten my hands on) has hard returns on each line. This makes them flow poorly on the N800.

The OEB package uses an HTML file for its source and I don't know how to do this sort of fix on an HTML file. Each line is wrapped in a both paragraph and span tags.
Sorry, for jumping in so late: how do you convert the .lit files? If you do something like
Code:
clit <book>.lit <book>/
cd <book>
zip ../<book>.oebzip
The resulting file should be showing just fine...

Tags
fbreader