Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
For fans of swish phones coupled with slick, open operating systems these are sad times. In at least one other thread on this board, commenters are kicking Nokia employees when they are down (read, for example, the run up to:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1524

As Quim outlines, even those who haven't lost their job in this round are likely to be living on borrowed time based on the slimming down of Nokia's future portfolio.

As a user (and big fan) of the N9 (and before that Maemo) I wanted to create a thread to say thank you to the Nokia employees who worked on them (and Meltemi). I hope that any affected employees reading this find jobs soon in companies who can harness your talents better!

I'll be using my N9 for a long time yet. After that I'm not sure where I'll go but I suspect I'll be longing for some of the things that Maemo+Meego made easy.

The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
It seemed inappropriate to mention it in the post above but my employer (IBM) is looking to hire experienced developers (at least in the south of England). The software I know that hiring is taking place for is not open-source so I'll understand if the combination of far-off location and mostly unrelated product/licence is unappealing but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

If any of the affected employees want some links, send me a message...

Edit: Given I've just mentioned who my employer is, I should also make it clear that I am a low-level peon who certainly cannot speak on behalf of them!

Last edited by jonquark; 2012-06-17 at 09:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't want to thank any Nokia employees! In fact, I think they should come here and thank us for paying millions for the phones that no one else wants.

The only Nokia employees I want to thank are the Nokians coming here on their free time as a community member, Thank you!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...Daviii you lovely *****, can you actually STFU on one day? I'm so sick of your troll posts, no really.

There were so many Nokians that worked weekends etc. to get N9 out against all odds (maybe for previous devices also), and according to interviews the same seemed to happen for Meltemi while it was still going on. Now _they_ have to pay for mismanagement.
Therefore, a big thank you for all those@Nokia that worked their *** off and tried to keep the boat afloat. Despite Nokia's treatments of customers and the market, the majority of individuals there should not be branded as fools for actions done by some only.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
Yes, an enourmous Thank You to every Nokian involved in the 770, N800, N810, N900, N950 and N9. You did a great job!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I don't want to thank any Nokia employees! In fact, I think they should come here and thank us for paying millions for the phones that no one else wants.
Well, by the looks of it, soon you will not have that problem anymore. Nokia and RIM gone, you can make the selection between an android phone, an iphone or an android phone. Hope that makes you feel you belong.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Cant this thread be merged into the sad news - Nokia killed meltemi instead of having multiple threads for essentially the same thing.
we should express our grief and thanks together...sad...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...Daviii you lovely *****, can you actually STFU on one day? I'm so sick of your troll posts, no really.

There were so many Nokians that worked weekends etc. to get N9 out against all odds (maybe for previous devices also), and according to interviews the same seemed to happen for Meltemi while it was still going on. Now _they_ have to pay for mismanagement.
Therefore, a big thank you for all those@Nokia that worked their *** off and tried to keep the boat afloat. Despite Nokia's treatments of customers and the market, the majority of individuals there should not be branded as fools for actions done by some only.
Thanks for these kind words.

So we thank them for doing their jobs? or for suffering poor management? or do thank them because they are fired? or for being part of the biggest **** up during our lifetime? or was it just that the happened to work with the devices you bought?

Why not thank Elop for saving Nokia while we are thank you mode.

Thank you all of you who have worked, working or planning to work at Nokia!

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Well, by the looks of it, soon you will not have that problem anymore. Nokia and RIM gone, you can make the selection between an android phone, an iphone or an android phone. Hope that makes you feel you belong.
No problem, bro!
Running IOs and android as we speak(and windows, maemo, harmattan). Looking for Tizen devices. You will always find new great OSes without RIM and Nokia. You should get out of the door and see the world. You might find something

And if you ready to wait for it. You will find what you looking for even without Maemo. It's hard, I know. But you will survive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No problem, bro!
Running IOs and android as we speak(and windows, maemo, harmattan). Looking for Tizen devices. You will always find new great OSes without RIM and Nokia. You should get out of the door and see the world. You might find something

And if you ready to wait for it. You will find what you looking for even without Maemo. It's hard, I know. But you will survive.
Dude, stick to the topic please. The thread is for people who want to thank the Nokians - if you can't be sincere, or you don't agree, that 's fine. But some of us DO want to thanks the employees for the hard work they've done to create something fresh and exciting. Voice your commentary in another thread