Active Topics

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
Unfortunately, no.

Check these posts for the details:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=110

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=131

In fact, it looks like I started to collect the ideas which I can use to sell the idea of open-sourcing Maemo MfE to my management.
Best of luck on that! Having MfE open source would be awesome! Let us know how you progress.

No. Of course no. Modest plugin and corresponding camel provider are responsible only for integration with email. Very thin layer. There are also protocol library (which I am dreaming to open source), storage library and as-daemon.
All this stuff is closed-source? It would be possible to release the source code MINUS the protocol implementation?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Gouda, Netherlands
Hi Vitaly,

I understand that you make a destinction between MfE for Symbian and MfE for Maemo.

As a customer - I use the simple "both are Nokia machines". And since I used E series phones for many years and always found them very reliable. I was expecting the same and more from Maemo / N900.

And true. The phone brings a lot of wonderful functions and works really really well. Except for the MfE. Which is disappointing. And which is why people make the comparison. By using earlier Nokia phones with good synchronization (with Exchange) they've come to expect the same from the N900 ...

Regards,
Jan-Paul

I know, well let's hope that you will get MfE to level customers had all reason to expect.

Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
ok - yes: when I go into the outgoing folder and click "Send and Receive" it's send out. But not if I choose the option "Send on next sync" and sync manually.
Just to clarify. The messages are not sent even if you are initiating manual sync by hand using control panel application (Press "Sync manually" button). But if you use Send&Receive from e-mail client, the messages are sent. Is it correct description of the issue?

Originally Posted by karmax View Post
All this stuff is closed-source? It would be possible to release the source code MINUS the protocol implementation?
Hm. Idea sounds interesting. Worse than open-sourcing the whole stuff but might be more feasible.

OK. Let us agree on the following - I will discuss this in depth with our responsible guys after 7, Jan. When all the people will comeback from "short" winter "holidays" which are going to start soon.

If anybody can bring here new ideas WHY open-sourcing of these components is good for Nokia business, I would be very thankful.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
Is there a way to get he sources of Mfe ?
They are closed-source.

Originally Posted by JPvdBos View Post
And true. The phone brings a lot of wonderful functions and works really really well. Except for the MfE.
Point is taken.

Just small comment. N900 does not have java and MMS inside. Nobody cares.
N900 has MfE inside. With limited functionality (compared with other Nokia phones). Everybody cares.

Don't take this comment as an attempt to defense. Just side comment.

Last edited by vitaly_repin; 2009-12-15 at 21:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Point is taken.

N900 has MfE inside. With limited functionality (compared with other Nokia phones). Everybody cares.

Don't take this comment as an attempt to defense. Just side comment.
Java and MMS were not listed in the technical specification.
Mail for exchange was listed.

Point is taken.

I suppose this is mostly about expectation management. If N900 Mail for Exchange functionality had been marketed with side note "Only supported with Exchange Server 2007 as a non-provisionable device. Not all functionality implemented." most corporate customers would have understood. With current specs, most corporate customers (including me) thought it would offer the same functionality as current Mail for Exchange for Symbian devices.

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!