Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Hi all:

I got an N800 and upgraded it with OS2008. The first few times I charged the unit, after a few hours it presented the "Battery full" text and solid battery icon, indicating...well.. a full charged battery.

Now, suddenly I noticed since the last 3 battery charging sessions, that it is NOT presenting that "Battery full" text and icon after many charging hours (when the battery should be fully charged already, which is 2 to 3 hours in my experience).

I have left the N800 charging overnight and the Battery full message never comes on, it keeps on saying "Charging" (in case you wondered if it was indeed charging.!), then I just un-pluged the N800 from the charger, battery had plenty of charge tough....

I am thinking the problem lies since I have been "updating" the OS software and applications through the Application Manager there must be something that screws this.

Unfortunately I would not be able to just list which are the latests updates I did and that could be the culprit(s) of this Battery full message not appearing.

Questions are: Has this happened to any of you recently ? (on an N800 with OS2008).

How to fix this?

All comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Sometimes I don't see the battery full message for a long time. It doesn't concern me. The battery status messages are very unreliable in general. The only thing that would concern me much would be if it started displaying 'Huckabee for President' messages. Then I'd be worried.

I agree that the battery status messages seem fairly useless. My 800 has been behaving much like febb describes since my upgrade to OS 08. At the same time, my battery life seems to vary from being usable for about 1 hour to 2 1/2 hours.
Alternately, my wifes new n800 with the same OS has much better battery life. So, it's obvious to me that part of what is going on is that the original batteries just don't seem to have a very long service life. I had two Nokia batteries. I had purchased an extra Nokia branded battery. So, after just one year both batteries need to be replaced?! WOW!

I noticed the same behavior as described by the OP, but it went away (2 weeks now) after I did a hard reboot by shutting down and then removing the battery for a bit and then restarting.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have been using my N800 fanatically for a year now and my Nokia battery and my two cheapo Hong Kong batteries have not needed to be replaced yet. I hardly ever plug in the N800, almost always just switching batteries.

Battery life of course depends on what you use it for. I use mine for web access, for listening to audio, and for reading (Fbreader).

I have never had a fully charged battery last for only an hour, even the cheap Hong Kong $10 batteries.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Run - don't walk - and get the "battery-status" utility. Search the forum.
Gad it works great!
The dippy battery icon on my N810 reminds me of my Ford E350 gauges - if I can see it it's on, if the screen is blank it's off.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
My N800 will say "Charging" when it's off and plugged in, and when I power it on it will give the "Battery Full" and "Disconnect to save energy" messages. Before I went to OS2008 it would show Battery Full on the front of the unit when it was off and charging, but since the net effect is the same I'm not worried.