Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Looks like voting on position marker is not as active as expected.

For the next release, would be great to get "a drive" (car?) icon (bottom right on the first screenshot at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/149). Maybe some other icon for search action as well? Ideally position should be sorted too, but that can wait. Anyone wishing to help?

All icons are now shown as SVGs, except position and markers that are integrated into mapbox gl.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Looks like voting on position marker is not as active as expected.
No, it lost traction, for good My plan was to follow up with variations of the best voted ones. But now that i thought about it for some days. Less is more rules.
My pledge would be to try the first one. The blue marker is kind of a visual identity imo and the task to make it more readable is achieved by simply removing transparency and filling the center 50-75% transparent white. No need to experiment to much until 3D becomes an option?

For the next release, would be great to get "a drive" (car?) icon (bottom right on the first screenshot at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/149). Maybe some other icon for search action as well? Ideally position should be sorted too, but that can wait. Anyone wishing to help?
Should the new icons replace the "search" & "navigate" icon in the first screenshot?

Last edited by mosen; 2019-01-28 at 22:10.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
No, it lost traction, for good My plan was to follow up with variations of the best voted ones. But now that i thought about it for some days. Less is more rules.
My pledge would be to try the first one. The blue marker is kind of a visual identity imo and the task to make it more readable is achieved by simply removing transparency and filling the center 90% transparent white. No need to experiment to much until 3D becomes an option?
I guess so, the simple ones tend to be the best. Then we'll need some other colors too (mainly yellow for dark styles).

Should the new icons replace the "search" & "navigate" icon in the first screenshot?
Yes, these are put as placeholders until the real ones will show up.

Note that we may want to add some background in future to the buttons to isolate them a bit from the map. But this is maybe after the next release when/if it will be clear that its needed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I guess so, the simple ones tend to be the best. Then we'll need some other colors too (mainly yellow for dark styles).
Did i miss the dark style? Could you point to a screenshot.

Attached are some variations of the blue marker without transparency and with the simple grey cricle around it in different transparency level.
Will do some fiddling with new icons.

EDIT: First ideas.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip position-direction-simple.zip (12.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: zip first-ideas-newicons.zip (9.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by mosen; 2019-01-29 at 01:17.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Using a car symbol or a steering wheel for navigation is distracting when you want to use it for walking or riding a bike.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sichtelement For This Useful Post:
Re dark screenshot: https://openrepos.net/sites/default/...0180823006.png (or the second in https://openrepos.net/content/rinigus/pure-maps)

Re bg on icons: let's keep icons clean for now. Background can be added later using QML - this is a bit more flexible and will ensure consistency among all icons in rather simple way.

Re drive icon: In the first look, it seemed to be more like a star which I confused with the bookmark. Although, it probably was smaller on web-site screenshot than it would be on device in the program.

As for correctness and distraction - agree, ideally it would not involve any walking/cycling/driving enforcing symbol. We can pull from history and put a walking man / bicycle / steering wheel, but that would correspond to the previous mode, which may differ. So, if we have icon that people associate with navigation instructions for all modes of transport that would be the best.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Maybe something like that for navigation:
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip street 1.zip (2.7 KB, 18 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Re bg on icons: let's keep icons clean for now.
Yep, understood and agreed from the tech side. No need to place consistent elements over all icons into the files.
Still, if a background is planned, the size of the icons depends on the spacing. line thickness depends on readability which depends on the Background shape and transparency.
For the mockups i would advise to already at least plan with some kind of background.
The circles are just the most obvious design transfer from the "center" button which i really like in its simplicity.

Re drive icon: In the first look, it seemed to be more like a star which I confused with the bookmark. Although, it probably was smaller on web-site screenshot than it would be on device in the program.
I kind of picked this rim type because it looks like a steering wheel a bit. But yeah, makes no sense to put two references in one picture when others see an unfitting third one

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Maybe something like that for navigation:
Kind of close IMO. Only, do pedestrians or bikes go in the middle of a street?

And the arrow struck me. We kind of have our own universal navigation pointer already. Why not employ it here and give some consistency and identity? For example:
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
the icons of @mosen follow the sailfish desing,it is good. but "Magnifying glass" icons need more work ,it need cut the piece outing of the circle. it is me opinion.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Kind of close IMO. Only, do pedestrians or bikes go in the middle of a street?
But you do you with your car ?

the last set from mosen is nice and choosing the position marker is probably the best we can do.

So my 12 points go to mosen's icon set.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post: