woo!
https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-smart...ecs-announced/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Gee... Only one speaker... (lol)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
That was in time.....

Now I had hoped for HDMI but seems they forgot that they first told us in first announcement about it.

3.5 Amp (17watt) battery is not as good as you may think that means this phone will eat battery since I do not expect it to hold more than a day still :/
Attached Images

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-07-30 at 07:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
what's wrong with video over USB C? Anything is better than HDMI anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Nothing, but you have to be aware that there is no single standard for video over USB C: it depends entirely on how the chip manufacturer implements it. This means that whatever you plug the USB C connector into (whether it is a display device or a USB C to <something> adaptor) it has to handle the particular video output correctly.

I have seen the practical side of this, by verifying that a USB C to HDMI adaptor for a Lenovo laptop does not work with the Gemini, and the USB C to HDMI adaptor for the Gemini does not work with the USB C video out from the Lenovo laptop.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post

Yes IF it works and you don't have to have yeat another f.. dongle between mobile and external display...

Btw. How can it be modern laptops with USB-C can not be charged over USB-C? How can it be you can't use display over USB on ALL modern laptops? How can it be that I can STILL not use whatever USB-C charger for ANY damn phone or laptop?

Seriously USB-C sound good but in theroy it still is a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb3w4AUHkw

Now question is will it work i librem5? My guess is there is more unstable software that is involved to make that display bridging display data over USB3 than it is with an regular HDMI solution. Let's hope I am wrong...

Also USB-C is still kind of new and hard to get everything up and working since it is more software involved both on the host and some kind of external chip on the "device side". Now I don't say they should go USB2.0 but they probably has plenty of other items that need to work with USB. One big issue is charging...

I mean look at the mess with RPI4 and non working charging on first revision of the board. USB3 is more complicated than 2.0. Different handshaking and external chip etc... So more software need to just work with this new version.

All I am saying is new tech means more instability.

I actually is not against USB-C. It seems so far better than MicroUSB contact but I am not convinced it will replace everything.

It may sound good with "just one cable for everything" but in real life it is almost never they case.

They said exacly the same with USB1.1 STILL all those ****ing adapators and the madness with converters. Same with DP/HDMI XXXX,

And I know it IS even worse madness with all display contacts DP/HDMI.
Now IF USB-C work I would be fine.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-07-30 at 15:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
the issue with USB-C is not manufacturer implementation. It's just a type of connector. That can support various different signals/protocols/whatever. The issue are cables and the fact that they don't support everything that connector does. Now, if all cables would be TB3 compliant I bet that there would be faaaaaaar les complaints about USB-C. In any other case, one does need to know exactly what the cable is capable of. And since they are all made in PRC you just have to trust the sticker on a box. I have TB3 port on my laptop and TB3 cable and that just works. I also have another type A to type C that is supposed to be gen 3.1 and should work for charging and data transfer but guess what..... It works for charging from any type A charger but when it comes to data transfer, well....... It works with all USB 2.0 devices, it does recognize USB 3 devices as plugged in but data transfer does not work with all of them.

And HDMI and it handshake......... it's not just plug and play. Some devices combo does not work with some cable. At the same time that cable works just fine with some other devices combo.

edit: I just watched the video and the guy didn't mention the most important fact, what does the port on laptop actually supports. It is easy with TB3 port but if it's not TB3 then it's ridiculous to expect that everything will just work if the port on laptop supports only A,B ad C.
And in a lot of cases it's there just as data transfer. That is less relevant for hubs but still.......... A lot of uneducated consumers will expect maybe display port or something else. And only TB3 port is marked differently. The rest are all the same.

Last edited by kinggo; 2019-07-30 at 16:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This is the latest. Somewhat limited. Encouraging but seeing is believing and I still think it will be performance challenged...

https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-august-update/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
This is the latest. Somewhat limited. Encouraging but seeing is believing and I still think it will be performance challenged...

https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-august-update/
Can't help it but every time they post about sw I think why just f.. WHY. They could had used plasma mobile or nemo mobile instead of reinvent the wheel.

It just make me sad when they talk about gtk UI progress. We already have a good QML frameworks for got sake. Facts stand Gtk is NOT touch friendly and now they try make that happen as a small team. Seriously... Nokia tried with maemo fremantle and that was okish since then we have moved on.

Nokia spent huge lot of money in Qt when they implemented Qt touch stuff + harmattan and before that trolltech has its mobile UI stuff writyten in Qt.. And after that Digia + Jolla continued improve Qt+QML framework parallel with the open nemomobile+kde plasma mobile. It took around ten years to get were we are today.

Now a small team at purism try to implement that with some old UI written in C. I mean cmon! ffs no way I write UI apps in C or pythongtk 2019!! Well maybe I will try https://crates.io/crates/gtk but not even that make me interested. I prefer QML+C++ or QML and https://crates.io/crates/qmetaobject.

It is just sad and madness with phosh.

Now IF you wanted to make a new UI framework from scratch I would have choosed Rust. Why? well it is modern and fast language. Gtk is old and C is boring and unsafe. Same with C++. But that is out of scope... Sorry could resist lobbying for more Rust

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-08-23 at 17:36.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
@ mikecomputing: Your post had a lots of information and points as a base for your argument. Like that. Would like to see someone challenge them if they are challengable.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: