Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I am planning to run a demo from the tablet, but I'll make a PDF of some slides for "just in case" purposes. But I know a few of the "lightning sessions" (including mine) are supposed to be demos; it's going to be hard to demo something if all you can do is show static slides, not to mention disappointing for all.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Yes, bring your own laptop... but please, as a backup and for documentation, make up PDF's/image slideshow so you don't get stuck with no way to present.
There will be demo n8x0 ( I believe n810's ) for the projectors, no I don't know how they are connected, but they will be there.
Okay, thanks for the sound advice. I was prepared to go belt+suspenders anyway...
Logistically I would also prepare slides/snapshots in case, for whatever reason, networks are slow or unreliable. We are packed to the gills and I would be very upset at having to rearrange/cancel slots at this point because you needed a 5mbps connection to complete your session.
If you have special or unusual needs please bring it mine ( Eric Warnke ) or one of the other organizers as soon as possible so we can get things moving
Oh no, nothing of the sort ! :-)

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I am planning to run a demo from the tablet, but I'll make a PDF of some slides for "just in case" purposes. But I know a few of the "lightning sessions" (including mine) are supposed to be demos; it's going to be hard to demo something if all you can do is show static slides, not to mention disappointing for all.
I'm pretty sure we can get people in and out orderly as long as everyone cooperated. Flash will be run in the big room so all the A/V support should be there and ready. Both of my sessions will be non starters without some on tablet demo'ing of custom software.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
You clearly didn't understand what I said.

The article and policy might say "any device", but that doesn't mean that the TSA screeners are actually looking for "any device". It's kind of like traffic laws -- there are tons of them that don't get enforced because doing so would be impractical, inconsistent, and the enforcement agency doesn't have enough bandwidth to actually pursue them.

On the site TSA screeners aren't going to look for every data storing device and spend time flagging it or inspecting it. There aren't enough of them to spend that much time on it. They're going to look for the obvious ones, not the marginal ones.
Traffic laws you say. Well, police here need to write out X tickets a day. Thats their goal. So if they can get someone caught for 10 km too hard, they'd do that.

'Obvious' to TSA means e.g. 'black', or someone clothed in orange. It might become 'person with a lot of electronic devices'. Look, we won't agree, I think. My point is not what is most likely to happen with me as person. I know I will pass because I'm white, honest, Christian background, casually wear colourful clothes but wear representative clothes as well, and so on.

My point is that because there doesn't have to be a probable cause, and because its difficult to declare data legal or illegal, and because the hardware can be unlimited confiscated, I don't wish such to someone else who is (more) likely to be picked on.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
well I'm here in Berlin; zero problems at airport security...

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
well I'm here in Berlin; zero problems at airport security...
Yeah, "Guten Morgen" hand passport over... wait 1 minute.. stamp, "Danke"

So far my worst customs experience is still getting home to the US.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
So far my worst customs experience is still getting home to the US.
Mine remains France (CDG). But NY (JFK) is a close second...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Glad to hear that qole & brontide. Welcome in the EU! *gives a flower*

I wish visitors to my country a nice welcome and nice stay. That way, they might even *gasp*... come back!

And JFK has a bad name...

So what's the weather like in Berlin ?

Leaving tonight and need to know what to pack :-)

It's in the 40s to high 50s (F). Bring a jacket.

Tags
maemo.org