We have been developing the Internet Tablet Software Section for a few days now and today, we are formally announcing it so Developers can start uploading their apps...
Article deleted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I hate to say it, but this really just sounds like a good way to fragment the community and duplicate a lot of effort. We've already got enough fragmentation with the repository mess, what's wrong with Garage and Downloads? Wouldn't it have been better to put together some sort of syndication? :\

All in all, this seems like a poorly made and hastily considered decision that's really not going to help anybody in the end.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-20 at 11:59.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
There is alot of good software that doesn't have a Garage page and even more never put on maemo downloads section. This if used by people would put all the software in a easy to find place. Infact almost half the games on this site that have been ported don't have garage pages.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
But,

1) you don't need a garage page for write an entry in maemo.org/downloads.
2) the software doesn't need to be in a repository, neither have a install file.
3) you don't need to be the developer for write an entry in maemo.org/downloads.

It would be cool if people write an entry in maemo.org/downloads for each dispersed software, though the own developer doesn't do it. If it's beta, tag the software as beta.

Please developers, all maemo software in one place.

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
All in all, this seems like a poorly made and hastily considered decision that's really not going to help anybody in the end.
I disagree GA.

We've all seen how Canola has improved because of the involvement of the end-users. We want to encourage the same type of life cycle. Maemo.org's Download section tend to just list apps and Maemo.org members (who are top tech junkies) tend to just rate the app, and that's it.

We also want to promote the developers' apps here at itT too, plus more. What's wrong with that?

I hope you just don't shoot down an idea mainly because you haven't seen it working.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Please developers, all maemo software in one place.
I agree with this. All Maemo apps should be in the garage. Maemo.org's and itT's software and download section should just list them.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I am not so sure about this move and the implication it can have in fragmenting software repositories.

It would be nice to see it NOT as a yet another software database, but as an aggregator for user comments/feedbacks.
For example my port (Xournal) has a page in the Downloads section, I could add a garage project (I will) to take advantage of the bugzilla section, but there is no place (in Maemo.org) where users can chat about Xournal.

Thus I am willing to add my software, but I will just link to the maemo.org's Download page.

This way I have everything I need: the software in one place (Maemo Extras and garage), a garage project (bugzilla, ...) AND a community forum to discuss the software itself (here).
I would encourage all the developers to do like this and I would like to push them all to upload their software to Maemo Extras.

Anything that would prevent that ?

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
By the way, I tried to add Xournal, but (after joining the Developers group and filled the Add form) I got : 'anidel, you do not have permission to access this page.'

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
That is what reggie was going for Anidel you don't have to upload your file here you can just link it. Unless you need somewhere to host your files then you can upload them here. Either way if its listed in our database our users can find them easy and discuss them.

Got it.
We'll see how it goes.