well, I got it all kinda work out. I got it successfully clone out the data, reboot, and in the UI from the mmcblk0p2(ext2), but it keep rebooting, while if I choose to boot from flash it is working fine. I even add one step into the instruction, which is to run sync after tar to ensure I don't try to reboot too early and kill whatever didn't finish writing to SD. I tried it twice, same problem. second time started w/ mkfs.ext2 step. Any pointer?

Hi Guys

The noob here again, please can someone tell me where I can get e2fsprogs
as I have searched all day and cannot find where it is. Thx in advance for all of your support.

Arch

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Tip: Search is good.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3844#post23844

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-02 at 19:48.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
well, I got it all kinda work out. I got it successfully clone out the data, reboot, and in the UI from the mmcblk0p2(ext2), but it keep rebooting, while if I choose to boot from flash it is working fine.
If you used tar for cloning, make sure GNU tar was really executed, not busybox tar. busybox tar has path limited to 100 chars so not everything is copied. Then it reboots like this. Just run tar with same path without arguments to see which tar it is or run it without -v and check for error messages about 100 character path limit.
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
I even add one step into the instruction, which is to run sync after tar to ensure I don't try to reboot too early and kill whatever didn't finish writing to SD.
critical is to unmount before rebooting, then sync is not needed. sync without unmounting helps a bit but is not ideal at all.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Tip: Search is good.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3844#post23844

My apologise I thought it was something that needed to be downloaded and installed, instead it is on the system just needed to be installed. Thx for your help and I will search harder next time, probably impatience on my part.

Regards

Arch

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You do need to download it, apt-get will download the package then install it for you. I can't remember which repository it's in, but if apt-get can't find it add the following:

Name: Maemo Main
Web Address: http://repository.maemo.org
Distribution: bora
Components: free non-free

Then run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get install e2fsprogs"

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
If you used tar for cloning, make sure GNU tar was really executed, not busybox tar. busybox tar has path limited to 100 chars so not everything is copied. Then it reboots like this. Just run tar with same path without arguments to see which tar it is or run it without -v and check for error messages about 100 character path limit.
critical is to unmount before rebooting, then sync is not needed. sync without unmounting helps a bit but is not ideal at all.
No wonder, I think that deserve to be in the instruction as well.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
am I supposed to get more free memory available by booting from mmc? If yes, where can I verify that?
I have an 490mb ext2 and booting from mmc

Originally Posted by mrp View Post
am I supposed to get more free memory available by booting from mmc? If yes, where can I verify that?
I have an 490mb ext2 and booting from mmc
Just type free at the xterm.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I do not believe booting from mmc will provide you more useable memory. You can create swap partitions or swap files that will give you additional memory resources.