Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
After reading the flowing post "Man... Harsh" I though it was a real cool command line tweak. so I ran it! - possibly i got the syntax wrong like missing a space or something - nothing happen so I carried on reading the post. only to see i was an idiot. >:P
Now I'm totally interested to know what you ran... running that on an N900 would be awesome just to see if it works....

It didn't give any output at all? Did you have to CTRL+C to get back to a prompt or did it just go to a prompt? Did you run "sudo gainroot" first?

(I'm certainly not recommending anyone do it that doesn't know what their doing and how to reflash (and have backups))
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Recent implementations of rf tend to be smart about rm -rf / and anything like that... if it involves /

But rm -rf /etc /usr /home /bin /sbin /lib

Will work

Also some shells like zsh have an option to always catch the rm -rf * or / and will ask if you really really want do run this.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
But rm -rf /etc /usr /home /bin /sbin /lib

Will work
Go back a page.. /* is so much easier than spelling it out!

But on Ubuntu rm -rf / actually *told* you "Sorry.. won't do that." Timwatt said it did *nothing*.. that's curious.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Now I'm totally interested to know what you ran... running that on an N900 would be awesome just to see if it works....
this tread should be terminated!

I did not run gain root, I would have given it a little though before trying that, just restarted my n900 and I all looks good.

All I can say is I am glad this is not a biology class... i find this morbid fascination with destroying "noob's" n900 rather sick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
this tread should be terminated!

I did not run gain root, I would have given it a little though before trying that, just restarted my n900 and I all looks good.

All I can say is I am glad this is not a biology class... i find this morbid fascination with destroying "noob's" n900 rather sick.
You misunderstand me. I said "Harsh" to qwerty because that's the first time, on these forums, (or rather anywhere that's supposed to be helpful) that I have seen that joke said without an actual warning, note, kill your kitten clause, etc.

I'm sorry my post didn't make that clear enough when I was telling him he was being "harsh" for responding to a "noob" with that. I was somewhat of the hope that that *would* give someone pause.

No where have I ever recommended anyone try that without telling them I hope they don't want their device back after running it...

The "morbid fascination" of mine came when someone showed me that the rm command wants to try and be "smart" and stop people from doing that now. So I tested it. And I posted my results for everyone to see... making it very clear what I expected to see and what I got.

But since you said you ran the original on an actual device.. that certainly peaks my interest to see if it actually worked.

If I had an N900 (see sig: come on people buy me one ) I would certainly try it just to see if the rm on the N900 is one of the ones that try and "protect" noobs from such negative advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Go back a page.. /* is so much easier than spelling it out! ;)

But on Ubuntu rm -rf / actually *told* you "Sorry.. won't do that." Timwatt said it did *nothing*.. that's curious.
Not with recent gnu coreutils rm it catches it. :) even catches ./ and other such ideas... :)
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
browse through your file system with: "find / -type f -exec cat {} \;"
8)

I'm not 100% positive but I think /bin/rm is linked to busybox on the n900 (can't check atm); its behavior may not match GNU's core/file utils.

So (this goes without saying) don't tempt fate with an rm -rf /.

It's entirely possible that it would traverse the filesystem even as user (if not running under sudo) and wipe out the files in your home directory, even if not bricking the device.

Back on the subject of evil.. what about a forkbomb?

perl -e 'while (1) { fork (); }'

Won't brick your device, but will lock it up immediately (even as a user). Beware.

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-02-15 at 07:55.

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Not with recent gnu coreutils rm it catches it. even catches ./ and other such ideas...
Hrm.. ok well it works with:

Code:
maemo@maemo-desktop:~$ rm --version
rm (GNU coreutils) 6.10
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Richard Stallman, and Jim Meyering.
maemo@maemo-desktop:~$
I rather like my Karmic Desktop just the way it is so I won't be trying it on that one . It's version is 7.4 though. So obviously the SDK is a bit outdated.

Tags
rm -rf /