Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
4. Nice processor, why not take off the governor? 600mhz, come one, this thing can do almost twice that, let it rip, buy Mugen stock.
Feel like sourcing this one? You're likely to run into major stability issues pushing 900MHz. Assuming, of course, that you don't burn it out outright.

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Regarding the zooming....will we be able to use the buttons on top to zoom in and out as we always have? I dont care for the swirling your finger deal.
Trust me, if they've implemented double-tap right, and if they fixed word-wrapping/fit-to-width, you won't need to swirl much, if at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Trust me, if they've implemented double-tap right, and if they fixed word-wrapping/fit-to-width, you won't need to swirl much, if at all.
IF

I'd still rather have a couple hard buttons to use. Perhaps someone can remap the volume control buttons to work as zoom.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
5. Ovi, Nokia messaging. OK, this is not necessarily a problem with this device per se, but I am on a roll. I hate that nokia is forcing me to consume their SERVICES and not just their DEVICES. Messaging is a nice client except for the fact that every email I receive has to go through effin Finland. Ovi chat is great and hey it is jabber, why not let me use the client on my own jabber server? I am perfectly capable of setting up my own IMAP server with very good IDLE support an long timeouts and my own jabber server.
Alright, let's stop the the FUD and get some clarification. How do you know that this only works with Nokia's Intellisync service? The integrated Nokia Messaging clients (see E75) support direct connection via IMAP and POP3 as well as their push service via Intellisync (http://email.nokia.com) as well as MS Active Sync via Mail for Exchange. There's no way that Nokia is going to release this device with no support for IMAP/POP3.

And in fact, that's what we see from the tech specs page here:

Email & Messaging

* Supported protocols: Mail for Exchange, IMAP, POP3, SMTP
* Support for email attachments
* Support for rich HTML
* SMS and Instant Messages as conversations
* Support for Nokia Messaging service
* Instant messaging and presence enhanced contacts
* Multiple number, email and Instant Messaging details per contact, contacts with images
* Support for assigning images to contacts
On, and we finally see threaded SMS for those that think this is important.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gorgon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Feel like sourcing this one? You're likely to run into major stability issues pushing 900MHz. Assuming, of course, that you don't burn it out outright.
I think he hasn't source very many of his "issues" given some of his complaints...

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I agree with lemmy, Id rather use the hardware buttons.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
I agree with lemmy, Id rather use the hardware buttons.
No you wouldn't. By default, zoom buttons can't guess the context of what you want zoomed. You'd rather use hardware buttons for page-up and page-down on the n900. And yes, I've remapped my browser's zoom-in and zoom-out to page-up and page-down on my n810. Now if only I had double-tap on my n810 browser...

If you don't know what double-tap is, watch qgil's demo video again. It's quickly shown before the swirling zoom. Once you have the column of interest fit-to-width, you usually only care about paging after that. But for further font-size refinement you'll have zoom menu items and client-side stylesheets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
I think he hasn't source very many of his "issues" given some of his complaints...
this is just the first result i found from google referencing the 3430 running at 1ghz

http://www.design-reuse.com/news/152...-omap3430.html

and that was in 2007

Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
Alright, let's stop the the FUD and get some clarification. How do you know that this only works with Nokia's Intellisync service? The integrated Nokia Messaging clients (see E75) support direct connection via IMAP and POP3 as well as their push service via Intellisync (http://email.nokia.com) as well as MS Active Sync via Mail for Exchange. There's no way that Nokia is going to release this device with no support for IMAP/POP3.

And in fact, that's what we see from the tech specs page here:

On, and we finally see threaded SMS for those that think this is important.
on e71 the integrated email client that does direct imap is crap. the one from email.nokia.com is a very nice client but they only let you use that through the service. i am pretty sure this is the same situation with other models

this is just the first result i found from google referencing the 3430 running at 1ghz

http://www.design-reuse.com/news/152...-omap3430.html

and that was in 2007
Oh, you mean when TI first demonstrated the capabilities on a reference design board plugged into a DC power supply and with large amounts of copper for proper heatsinking? This is a far cry from integration into the compact battery powered solution of a mobile phone. Either way we'll see this scale up soon enough and the 600MHz we're going to see is going to perform very well. Sourcing IC's that are capable of running stably at 1GHz are going to be a little expensive for a some time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gorgon For This Useful Post: