Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
Jolla -> do what ever it takes to get Fairphone as your partner!
It would be nice if Fairphone would start selling phones with SailfishOS!!
It is great that the community port is moving forward...

But I have to ask - what's in it for Jolla? It is quite clear that Fairphone does not want to pay for the license and does not want to contribute to SailfishOS porting either, so they are waiting for someone else ("community") to do it.

Jolla is hardly in a position where they could through money around to port to devices whose manufactures are not willing to contribute.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It is great that the community port is moving forward...

But I have to ask - what's in it for Jolla?
It is quite clear that Fairphone does not want to pay for the license and does not want to contribute to SailfishOS porting either, so they are waiting for someone else ("community") to do it.

Jolla is hardly in a position where they could through money around to port to devices whose manufactures are not willing to contribute.
hmmm..... wider user base. And with that maybe more apps. And maybe the finally decide to implement some kind of payment in the store. Developers probably want to eat something, right.
Because, they will never get anywhere with just OS licenses. They need something that the end users are willing to spend money on, not just the OEMs. And ATM they have nothing to sell, not even those overpriced plastic TOHs. And I'm sure that license price would be (is, if that's the deal with intex) way less than 29€.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
It is quite clear that Fairphone does not want to pay for the license and does not want to contribute to SailfishOS porting either, so they are waiting for someone else ("community") to do it.
Thats not strictly true. I've met with a few of the Fairphone guys and generally they like and want to support Sailfish.

However, they are also only a small team and the extra burden of having to support multiple operating systems is likely too large to bare at this point in time. Licencing fees can be put into the purchase price of the device, but other lifecycle related things are a bit harder to fully absorb up front.

Would people pay extra for a Sailfish Fairphone? given the transparency of showing where the extra money goes (alien-dalvik, exchange, xt9 .etc) I think its reasonable, and we may see it at some point.

EDIT: Also, Jollas hardware adaptation team has been a bit gutted by the recent troubles, so getting the community to do the initial work (mainly enabled by Fairphone) considerably reduces what Jolla needs to do internally.

Last edited by r0kk3rz; 2015-12-28 at 18:10.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
hmmm..... wider user base. And with that maybe more apps. And maybe the finally decide to implement some kind of payment in the store. Developers probably want to eat something, right.
Because, they will never get anywhere with just OS licenses. They need something that the end users are willing to spend money on, not just the OEMs. And ATM they have nothing to sell, not even those overpriced plastic TOHs. And I'm sure that license price would be (is, if that's the deal with intex) way less than 29€.
why 29? where have you read it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
29€ is the price for TOH. And jolla couldn't charge that much per license. Or at least I think that they can't. Especially since jolla doesn't offer anything more after that. Yet.
Anyway, the point was that they don't monetize even from basic things that people are willing to pay for. I'm still looking for keira black. And I paid QuasarMX out of jolla store

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
29€ is the price for TOH. And jolla couldn't charge that much per license. Or at least I think that they can't. Especially since jolla doesn't offer anything more after that. Yet.
Anyway, the point was that they don't monetize even from basic things that people are willing to pay for. I'm still looking for keira black. And I paid QuasarMX out of jolla store
Does that include alien-dalvik? Prices should fall seeing how community got android running (alpha still, but still impressive)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
But I have to ask - what's in it for Jolla? It is quite clear that Fairphone does not want to pay for the license and does not want to contribute to SailfishOS porting either, so they are waiting for someone else ("community") to do it.
Currently Jolla does not have devices what people can buy. So this should be their 1. priority currently for their survival.

Jolla should try to get these to devices out as soon as possible to get users for their OS.
1. Intex is coming when? This would serve some customers but not all as its low cost phone.
2. Fairphone2 would bring more people.
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz;
Would people pay extra for a Sailfish Fairphone?
I would buy and pay extra if they would give SailfishOS option with extra cost.
3. Jolla tablet. They should get it out to increase customer base.
4. There is still cap for high end device which Fairphone2 might not fill

One option (later on) would be that Jolla would ditch Alien dalvik to save money and start building their own based on community version?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post

One option (later on) would be that Jolla would ditch Alien dalvik to save money and start building their own based on community version?
liar's android implementation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
As long as there is no Dalvik support for Fairphone2 I think it will be a show stopper for many people .

And where is the actual download? I don't buy something when there is no evidence that it's really working with SFOS.

Originally Posted by MaemoUser View Post
And where is the actual download? I don't buy something when there is no evidence that it's really working with SFOS.
Have not seen download to be available yet.

I bet that they are waiting MWC16 to announce that.
http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2