Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I don't think it meant combing the OSes into one, just making sure things work on both right out of the box, as if they run the same apps. I'm all for it. I don't see Maemo on a laptop either. The scope of each complements the other. I think the two aligning can help, though.
Unfortunately the extremes of the UIs makes this slightly less than workable in most cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i think all we can do is wait and see what happens
i really cant see intel making these claims publicly without some long term stratedgey to make it happen with nokia

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Bothj compaines have long since signed/announced a partnership where they wouls work to standarize on elements used with Maemo and Moblin; plus they already work on the ofono phone stack. Merging makes less sense then since its only wiring and plumbing to be standarized, IP can keep the platforms targeted and relevent as already posted about.

For some reason, MS and Intel get a bad rap around here. As if they made the first tablets and set Maemo back a good deal. Just somethingI've noticed.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Unfortunately the extremes of the UIs makes this slightly less than workable in most cases.
Are you saying the limitations of porting apps from a finger only interface to a mouse dominated one would be difficult? Or is that not what you're saying? I thought porting to Windows wasn't that hard for Qt apps. Why would Moblin be hard?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Are you saying the limitations of porting apps from a finger only interface to a mouse dominated one would be difficult? Or is that not what you're saying? I thought porting to Windows wasn't that hard for Qt apps. Why would Moblin be hard?
Running them isn't the issue, it's using a UI which is intended for an entirely different interface that's the issue. For the same reason Open Office doesn't work well on the tablets.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
OH, ok, now I feel you. Each app would still need a custom UI to fit the new environment.