Active Topics

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by N770-Freak
ad 1: how did you install this package? from console or with the packagemanager (red/blue pill?)? any error messages?
(please install the package in xterm and post the install messages!)
It was installed using the normal application manager and it indicated that it installed successfully. Perhaps some error got hidden. Do I just install from the command line with "dpkg -i packagefile.deb" ?

ad 2: ok, i will try to work on that! the build in id3lib is not compatible with ogg! so enableing this feature in gconf doesn't make sense (playblack will fail!).
Thanks ... it is not that critical for my needs as I rip my audio to have all the info in the filenames anyways but I just wanted to make a complete wishlist :]

It is strange that Nokia would specifically remove the ogg reading ability from the id3lib if they are claiming to stay as close to upstream as possible.

I just have the hope (!) that nokia will release a dspsink for ogg-vorbis playing. So i don't want to spend too much work on this. I made no diffs and can't offer any adapted sources for working on this. So posting this debs on garage doesn't help you
Like i posted: all i have done is to follow the "getting started" docs!
If someone wants to compile this in scratchbox or wants to debug this thing you'll only have to follow these instructions! Perhaps if you have some problems while compiling i will try to help you.
Fair enough. Nokia's silence on why they didn't include ogg in the first place and if they plan to include it in the future is a strange. I hope they do include something DSP-assisted but in the meanwhile this version isn't all that CPU-hungry. Thanks for packaging this up in an easily digestible format.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy
Do I just install from the command line with "dpkg -i packagefile.deb" ?
Yes! (as root)

Originally Posted by mwiktowy
It is strange that Nokia would specifically remove the ogg reading ability from the id3lib if they are claiming to stay as close to upstream as possible.
My first thought was that id3lib could be responsible for ogg-tags, but i erred.
(i have no deeper knowledge of this gstreamer stuff. So my strategy is 'try and false'.)
The tags of mp3's are made available through id3lib!
The tags of ogg's (vorbis) are made available through vorbisdec!

But decoding an ogg with tremor doesn't make the tags available.
So imho there are two possibilites:
1. the tremor lib prevents the availability of tags
2. the gsttremor lib prevents the availability of tags

At this point i can do nothing.
Perhaps someone knows if a gstlib exists that can demux taglists of ogg-vorbis files (like the id3lib does for mp3)?

Greetings...
N770-Freak

I've got everything working except opening an ogg from within the audio player. Is this supposed to work? From this thread, it's unclear. Canola also doesn't see my ogg files. Thanks...

Originally Posted by tjb
I've got everything working except opening an ogg from within the audio player. Is this supposed to work? From this thread, it's unclear. Canola also doesn't see my ogg files. Thanks...
It should work with the audio player!
did you get any errors while installing this package? did you reboot your
device after installing?

That canola could not find the files is another problem!
But theoretically canola could play ogg's. (only problem i see is the cpu
usage of canola. perhaps canola itself uses too much cpu that playback would be unusable!)

Greetings...
N770-Freak

Originally Posted by tjb
I've got everything working except opening an ogg from within the audio player.
Same here.
  • gst-inspect-0.10 tremor
  • seems to show everything is fine (output here).
  • File manager says the files are of type "audio/x-vorbis", and double-clicking opens the Audio player
  • Audio player shows the file in the open dialog, but says "playback error" when I try to play the file.

I did not use CVS/SVN versions, but these:
- libvorbisidec (tremor) version 1.0.2+svn12153 packaged for Debian by Daniel Gillmore (but not included in Debian yet) (linklink)
- gst-plugins-bad0.10 version 0.10.3-3 from Debian
With small debian/rules and dependency changes they packaged and installed fine.

What can I do to debug this? I am not a gstreamer expert but gst-inspect does seem to indicate that the tremor plugin is working... I'm out of ideas.

EDIT: hmm... after "playback error" osso-media-server starts using all available cpu cycles.

Last edited by jussik; 2006-12-01 at 15:47.

I first tried installing through the App Manager and when that didn't work, I uninstalled it and installed by hand as root from a terminal. No errors but I went through all the steps from

http://www.maemo.org/platform/docs/m...d.html#plugins

to make sure. (I didn't recreate the files but I made sure they looked the same and then ran the commands by hand.) Multiple reboots later and still the audio player doesn't see ogg files in the file chooser.

Last edited by tjb; 2006-12-01 at 18:56.

Originally Posted by jussik
Audio player shows the file in the open dialog, but says "playback error" when I try to play the file.
I think installing Canola has broken something. Before I installed Canola, I was able to play .oggs in Audio Player. Now I get the same behaviour that you have just described.

- Neil

Originally Posted by neiljerram
I think installing Canola has broken something. Before I installed Canola, I was able to play .oggs in Audio Player. Now I get the same behaviour that you have just described.
i can confirm this!
after installing canola ogg makes problems.
when i boot to my testing partition (no canola installed) all works well
(also playing files opened from within the player itself).

mmmh... so we have to look at all the stuff that canola installs.

Greetings...
N770-Freak

mmmh... so we have to look at all the stuff that canola installs.
Interesting. This wasn't my problem, though: I get the same error message after a clean flash...

EDIT: and just for completeness: This works (the playback is a little choppy, but at least it plays):
Code:
gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=matkalaulu.ogg !tremor ! dsppcmsink

Last edited by jussik; 2006-12-02 at 15:49. Reason: fixed the gst-launch command

Originally Posted by jussik
Interesting. This wasn't my problem, though: I get the same error message after a clean flash...

EDIT: and just for completeness: This works (the playback is a little choppy, but at least it plays):
Code:
gst-launch filesrc location=matkalaulu.ogg !tremor ! dsppcmsink
Are you trying to use the already packaged version or a self compiled version???
If you want to compile it yourself you should look at the developer mailinglist (Nov 2006). There you can find also the information for debugging this gstreamer stuff! You should use the latest cvs of gst-plugins-bad otherwise it won't work (look at the hole thread, it was mentioned before)!
You mentioned that playback is choppy. How about your cpu usage?

Greetings...
N770-Freak