Active Topics

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
yeah.... purism probably developed more "core apps" or whatever you wanna call them then Jolla in 6 years.
That is a bold statement, unless you consider rebranduing existing apps and services "developing".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
I don't have to re-read anything, it was kind of meant that way, maybe written a little more bitter than Jolla would deserve but still sadly true.

I don't know how focusing on (Russian) government agencies will work out for them in the end, but I'm convinced the community won't be influential in their success or failure any more.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spag View Post
That is a bold statement, unless you consider rebranduing existing apps and services "developing".
this is quite true, but also kind of the point of purism. they still deserve the credit, for being ABLE to re-use FOSS apps, which requires hw+sw effort and huge corporate sacrifices. in the end, all that matters is how good the app is on the phone they deliver. (evidence points to SFOS apps being WAY better at this point, in librem5s infancy, but that could change)

on a side note, as for rebranding FOSS apps and charging money for them and related services, this is FANTASTIC. if they are actually selling Librem One subscriptions, this is something to be celebrated. whenever anyone pays money for FOSS software, the world is a slightly better place

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
pretty much this.....
they used what was there and adapted it to their needs. They didn't go to reinvent the wheel again which is quite a common plague in linux world.
But my main point is that they have something promising.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
pretty much this.....
they used what was there and adapted it to their needs. They didn't go to reinvent the wheel again which is quite a common plague in linux world.
You could probably leave the word "linux" out without making that statement any less true. The plague of NIH is all over the place, reinventing things that already work instead of re-using or adapting existing technology.

Hopefully purism's contributions upstream will benefit the wider open source world -- maybe even including sfos.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm kinda disappointed that the Librem 5's "kill switches" sound like they're really just "do not start" ("do not conceive"?) switches. I hope I'm misreading that.

Ed., I guess I did misread that.

Last edited by robthebold; 2019-10-09 at 19:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Seems like an eerie silence since shipping announced. Is this privacy taken to far or is something wrong?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I want it.. but this time will let the richer, more eager, or more privacy dependent mobile warriors among you guys confirm & clarifythe many ???? first! Learned the lesson with Jolla & Neo900.
Meanwhile waiting for full Leste Maemo on N900.
Better to throw excess money in that direction I feel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
[...]
Meanwhile waiting for full Leste Maemo on N900.
Better to throw excess money in that direction I feel.
You are sponsoring (i.e., making a donation to) the Maemeo-Leste project?
Cool!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by olf View Post
You are sponsoring (i.e., making a donation to) the Maemeo-Leste project?
Cool!
No I am not currently.

Wouldn't know the financial demand or amount of support(s) needed / wanted to start making a difference.

It's reliable developing force they need: from blog page Maemo Leste

"Join us! We really need more people helping out. At this point, we specifically need developers who can work on porting packages, help out with reverse engineering, and debug driver issues."

Excess money not available.
Surviving on an income way less than the price of a Pursim Librem 5. Most goes to good food to stay healthy.

Yet I support by purchasing another N900 for Leste test. (and of course nerdy greeed / pleasure)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Seems like an eerie silence since shipping announced. Is this privacy taken to far or is something wrong?
A hint that we might have something more soon: https://social.librem.one/@lunduke/102940572037339818

Bryan Lunduke is Marketing Director at Purism according to http://www.lunduke.com/ so probably a privileged user rather than a normal "punter", but hopefully he will have something interesting to add.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post: