Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Hopefully, something better than this will come from Intel's direction. The better I know Android, the less I like it. I don't like this incarnation of MeeGo: Forget about iAnything or Microsoft. Back to my N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I am still to understand why would you want a Linux desktop experience on a much much smaller handheld device ?
Why not? 20 years ago, desktop computers had screens with a lower resolution than the one of the N900, and they were perfectly usable.

The Following User Says Thank You to vinc17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Hopefully before the release Nokia is looking at what the top android/iOS apps provide and bundle the functionality.

No need for an app for that.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Sensation, Galaxy, Optimus. Only men with small dicks buy phones with such names.
.... you realise the N9 is being released in PINK right ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I thought I never agree with you but this is spot on. However, as I mentioned before. Why now? According to Nokia consumer devices would be WP based.

Great to see though that one can create a great UX without having to rely on hardware improvements. Apart from fringe use-cases someone has to come up with real reasons why they need beefier CPU/GPUs.

So IF this device can run "open" AND "closed" applications at the same time and the UX is modifiable then this would be a pretty good device even for us nerdy types.
Why now? it's a good question. I think we have underestimated Nokia and also been thinking in black and white, this or that. Nokia (and even more so Samsung by the way) have a long history of being able to have lots of thoughts in their heads at any given time.There is no this or that, it is only will it make money and/or will it increase market shares.

The N9 will attract a certain niche, and as such will be able to make lots of money for Nokia. Money and market shares that WP is not able to make. WP will be more mainstream, with much more apps, and being more "secure". Another thing is that Qt is going to S40, essentially making that platform a smartphone platform, so making a kick-*** "mainstrean" N9 to attract Qt developers makes a lot of sense while S40 hardware is being developed.

On the other hand, Nokia being totally unpredictable, the reason may very well be that they found the N9 and Harmattan to be way too good to scrap.

Either way it makes perfect sense from a commercial point. What I do not understand is that 10 new Symbian devices will come during the next 12 months. That is a nut to crack. But again, Nokia may have lots of things going, and we are too blind to see what is really going on.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
.... you realise the N9 is being released in PINK right ?
You are mixing it up. Galaxy, Optimus, Sensation are for tiny boys with their e-cocks hanging out. The N9 are for the cool bunch of both genders

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I am still to understand why would you want a Linux desktop experience on a much much smaller handheld device ? Simply because it can be done ? But the why not have a Mac OS desktop experience on an iPhone ?

Simply because it doesnt make sense usability wise.

But again thats me.
I expect the ability to organise/group my apps. i.e. folders or short cuts on different desktops on maemo.

That iphone like screen with TONS of square icons just staring you in the face is messy, unorganised and a timewaster.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Does anyone have an idea of how deeply linked the N9 applications are with each other?

I'm thinking of what MS did with Mango here and I quite liked what I saw, even though I didn't really care of the look of Metro UI.

Thanks in advance

I'll put my sim deep in that slot.

Way I see it, NFC vnc box with a pretty shell and a happy mobile UI.

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
battery life is still to be seen on this, they all last a day

Worse multitasking? What you mean the 1 second wait to switch apps is worth waiting a year for swiping screens? You must be joking

1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset vs 1GHz Cortex-A8...

Camera may be the only real point this thing has, but it pales in comparison to pretty much any budget camera.

960x540 SLCD and 800x480 Super AMOLED both sound superior to 854x480 AMOLED and are available right now.

Flash 10.3 and 100.000+ apps in Android Market vs Ovi Store... don't even get me started on that abomination

By the time N9 gets released the Tegra 3 Kal-El phones will be taking a hot steamy dump on its face. And I haven't even mentioned iPhone 5 yet. Nokia is still failing, hopefully the Windows Phones are better
android doesnt even use the second CPU. it only eats battery life.

and only way to make android as crisp as meego install custom roms with a better task viewer vanilla android comes with that only shows 6 recent apps that are not probably running.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????