I just received my membership yesterday afternoon, but not only did the n800 go down, but also our internet (so only posting now).

The only extra app there is that Gizmo thing (which did make the browser crash more after installation).

Symptoms:
  • When pressing the on button (from off) white screen with Nokia Logo appears, lasts about 35 seconds, flashs to a black screen for 0.1 seconds and returns to Nokia Logo again for 35 seconds.
  • From off, when connected to the charger, identical symptoms above
  • (Removing the battery does not turn off the N800 (when connected to the charger)
I'm going to try and update the firmware in a couple of minutes to see what happens. Any other advice I get till then is appreciated.

Last edited by JayMontano; 2007-01-22 at 10:59.

Should be more like Reboot Screen of Aggravation since the unit doesn't need to be sent to Nokia for parts replacement. The unit can be fixed by reflashing which leads me to believe this problem probably can be fixed via software. Hopefully it's not a boot loader problem in the firmware.

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Should be more like Reboot Screen of Aggravation since the unit doesn't need to be sent to Nokia for parts replacement. The unit can be fixed by reflashing which leads me to believe this problem probably can be fixed via software. Hopefully it's not a boot loader problem in the firmware.
Got a bit preoccupied earlier so haven't got around to updating FW....just painfully slowly downloading the

"RX-34_2007SE_2.2006.51-6_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin"

fingers crossed that I get my N800 up and running again...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Follow the instructions to disable the lifeguard reset - there's probably no need to reflash the entire device, just disable the mechanism that is resetting the N800 because it has erroneously determined your device has hung when in fact it may be taking a little too long to start due to one of the apps you have installed. If disabling the lifeguard reset (which can only be done from Linux) has no effect then go for a full reflash.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Follow the instructions to disable the lifeguard reset - there's probably no need to reflash the entire device, just disable the mechanism that is resetting the N800 because it has erroneously determined your device has hung when in fact it may be taking a little too long to start due to one of the apps you have installed. If disabling the lifeguard reset (which can only be done from Linux) has no effect then go for a full reflash.
Thanks Millhouse.

Can't find the exact disable LG reset thing so I'm gonna go with full flash.

I take it since it's in a non functioning mode, I'm gonna loose all data stored on the N800? Gtalk contacts to be added again, Voice/Video Call contacts thing must be added again

It will be annoying if this is some kind of regular occurance and frequet flashing is mandatory for continued use.

Ah, and it was going so good with the N800 - lol, like they say, "if it's too good to be true...."

Hmm...if all else fails, I'll send it off with my N93(rip) for repairs...see if Carphone Warehouse guys are willing to do anything about it.

EDIT: btw, how do I know that the battery is full when there's nothing on the screen but the "NOKIA" logo?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...uard#post30503

Search is really useful!

You're going to lose everything by reflashing, you won't lose anything if it boots after disabling the lifeguard reset.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...uard#post30503

Search is really useful!

You're going to lose everything by reflashing, you won't lose anything if it boots after disabling the lifeguard reset.
I searched maemo.org, this forum and google but nothing relevant.

lol, thanks for the link though -but I've already lost all my content :'(

...meh but at least it's working again ^_^ probably better to have a fresh start...

It'll be a learning curve to keep a constant back up on the memory card I'll follow the instructions in that link in future (hopefully won't need to, but I doubt it)

The Following User Says Thank You to JayMontano For This Useful Post:
I came home tonight and my plugged in n800 was stuck on the Nokia screen. A battery removal reboot caused it to go right back to the Nokia screen and no further.

Flashing now and will not add anything that is not on the Bora repositories provided except fbreader. If it still hangs beyond that - not sure where I will go.

j

in4m8ionman - you should try disabling lifeguard reset first, then reflash. If you went straight for the reflash, I give up....

The device was not rebooting it was stuck only on the Nokia screen - will killing the lifeguard reset fix that?

Also - I am not sure that I want to kill lifeguard yet - I want to understand what is causing my device to reset - Lifeguard is annoying - but the reset is more annoying. Sorry if that annoys you.

j