I hacked a nice xmodmaprc for my new Stowaway BT keyboard. So far, everthing works well.

But whenever the keyboard disconnects, either by the 3 minutes timeout or if I close it, all the xmodmap settings are gone. After I connect the keyboard again, i have to call the xmodmap script again.

Probably the best would be if I can automatically run a script whenever the BT keyboard connects.

Any hints?

Probably need dbus-scripts; I'd bet there's a dbus signal you can catch, but I don't know what.

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Probably the best would be if I can automatically run a script whenever the BT keyboard connects.

Any hints?
Try looking at this note,

http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/n800/keyboard/

By the way, could you post your xmodmaprc file?

--denis

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
By the way, could you post your xmodmaprc file?

--denis
Yes please

Aye, seconded.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i believe it to be much more useful in the long run to go directly to the layout files for whatever language your using.

that is, the files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i believe it to be much more useful in the long run to go directly to the layout files for whatever language your using.

that is, the files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols
It is quite a nightmare to play with those files. You will have to edit several files then, and cannot switch to different layouts too.

Even worse: for each OS update your modifications will be lost, and you have to reinstall everything.

The xmodmap solution is much easier and flexible. It is also well documented.

is there any way to get xmodmap files to load when a bluetooth keyboard is discovered? for that matter, is there any way for the n800 to automatically discover keyboards the way the 770 does?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It is quite a nightmare to play with those files. You will have to edit several files then, and cannot switch to different layouts too.

Even worse: for each OS update your modifications will be lost, and you have to reinstall everything.

The xmodmap solution is much easier and flexible. It is also well documented.
heh, maybe so. i ended up going there as it was the easiest way to get my slightly strange bluetooth keyboard to keep its layout between disconnects without having some confused dbus script to hack at.

i only had to alter one file to get the effect i wanted. and i made sure to copy a backup to one of my cards so that when i flashed to diablo i only had to copy it back over the diablo one to get the layout as i wanted it