Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Ok, I'm having issues with forwarding X from my N800 with OS2008 to my Linux desktop, I can forward X from my Desktop to the N800, just not the other way around.

EG. on the Linux desktop generally you type this to forward X from one Linux box to another.

ubuntu:$ ssh -X root@n800

it connects fine and has a $DISPLAY setting of :0.0 which is odd because all my other Linux Desktops with ssh forwarding set the $DISPLAY to localhost:10.0

I suspect this might be a setting in OpenSSH-Server, but I for the life of me can't work out how or why its setting the display variable wrong.

Make much sense?

Pretty much X forwarding from my N800 forwarded to the Linux box doesn't seem to work correctly.

did I use the word forward enough?

Cheers
Rip

Search the forums. I had this trouble too, but never found an answer for it. There is a windows SSH/X client that seems to work but I don't remember the name offhand.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by gsagers View Post
Search the forums. I had this trouble too, but never found an answer for it. There is a windows SSH/X client that seems to work but I don't remember the name offhand.
Perhaps it is Putty? That's the only windows ssh client I know of outside of Gygwin.

Yeah, there is something broke or disabled with the Maemo X server which does not permit X forwarding. Even standard X forwarding (such as changing your DISPLAY to linux:0, still doesn't work). Perhaps a bug should be raised if there isn't one already (I'll go look into that).

Craig...

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
Perhaps a bug should be raised if there isn't one already (I'll go look into that).

Craig...
I did some searching, couldn't find a bug already open on this one, so I opened one:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2494

We'll see what happens.

Craig...

Hi,

I tried a bunch of different stuff, including manually setting the DISPLAY variable to 192.168.1.100:0 (my IP) with an X-server running, and it claimed it could not connect:

Nokia-N800-:/usr/bin# ./maemopadplus
Xlib: connection to "192.168.1.100:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

maemopadplus[2402]: GLIB WARNING ** Gtk - cannot open display:

I'm curious as to any developments in this regard. Thanks.

-Robert

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
I've posted a comment on the bug and also voted for it. I'd suggest anyone else wanting this to do the same

Cheers

-Rip