I'm having the exact same problem. Ever get this fixed skelso?

I did get it going again, but it's not entirely good news, arimanius. I'm now convinced my problems are at least partly resulting from bad hardware, and I'll have to exchange my unit.

I finally removed and reinserted the battery enough times that my 770 started holding on long enough for the Linux flasher to get started. It flashed Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51-13.bin smoothly and rebooted. Then it showed the "NOKIA" splash screen at middle brightness for about 4s, went to full brightness for 1s and cut-off, darn it! After 5-6 more cycles of flashing and cutting off the same way, a miracle happened and it booted. Once up, it survived all the normal sleep-wake and switch off-power on transitions without problem. However, starting the "Date and time" or "Display" applications on the control panel always caused the control panel to close.

Now to confirm the original cause: I shut off, pulled the battery and put it back in, and my 770 wouldn't boot. 12 hours of fiddling later I've got it flashing, but it simply would not boot until, in desperation, I tried putting it in R&D mode. This time, the "Date and time" and "Display" applications worked normally. Then I switched off and tried taking it out of R&D mode (leaving the battery in), and it wouldn't boot. I put it back in R&D mode, and it booted.

I also noticed charging appears to be blocked in R&D mode. That was the final nail in the coffin, practically forcing me to conclude something is broken in the power management and charging circuitry.

I cross-posted to the maemo-users mailing list in hopes someone from Nokia would either (a) recognize the symptoms and say "oh yeah, that's a bad thus-and-such", or (b) not recognize the symptoms and want to know more. No response so far. Two cases isn't a trend, but it is interesting. I wonder if our units are from the same factory, have similar manufacturing dates, etc.

That is interesting Skelso. I finally got mine reflashed last night(after an hour of trying) and everything appears to be working, except the wpa auth but that's another thread. :P I haven't taken mine out of R&D mode and it appeared to charge fine yesterday. I'll double check when I get home.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Illinois
Just thought I should mention that my 770 is behaving badly with a variant of this booting problem -- the WSOD (White Screen of Death). 770 was behaving fine, rebooted it one day and the screen brightness went all the way to full white. Unit will not display anything except full white. Tried several reflashes and it seems to complete and will reboot but immediately the full white screen comes back. 770 responds to some touch screen areas with beeps but its impossible to know whats going on. I've tried removing battery power and letting the unit sit for over a day and then re-inserting power and AC power cord, still no luck. Nokia tech support had no ideas and they suggested a warranty repair. I'll try flashing with the full original firmware image again, but I'm not very hopeful. Looks like its time to send it back to Nokia and hope they can do something with it.

Originally Posted by skelso
I finally removed and reinserted the battery enough times that my 770 started holding on long enough for the Linux flasher to get started. It flashed Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51-13.bin smoothly and rebooted. Then it showed the "NOKIA" splash screen at middle brightness for about 4s, went to full brightness for 1s and cut-off, darn it!
skelso, I don't think there was anything that you did wrong. I googled for an article that I saw--couldn't find it naturally. I believe that I read about this problem. There are some defective screens out there. I believe these screens fail after the unit has been flashed. The battery has nothing to do with the problem that you are experiencing.

Make that another Nokia 770 with the white screen of death (with the NOKIA blue letters showing).

It's two months old and the only problem was spontaneously rebooting while browsing -- which is a common complaint.

I'll admit I would sometimes leave it on and walk away and wondered if that might be part of the reason? Perhaps I should have turned it off and inserted backwards in the case each time?

For $350 it was a handy device -- not as handy as an electronic paperweight.

Should I just return it to BestBuy or is it really worth trying to reflash it?