Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
ok, I've searched, and can't find an answer.

is there a noticeable difference between class 2 and class 4 or 6 microsdhc's on the n810?

i've found a reasonably priced 16gb sdhc class 2 microsdhc and am wondering if i should go for it or get an 8gb class 6.

i would like the larger one, but do not want to compromise access speeds to the point of noticeability.

thanks

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
is there a noticeable difference between class 2 and class 4 or 6 microsdhc's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_..._Class_Ratings

Originally Posted by superbondbond View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_..._Class_Ratings
i know what the actual differences are, i mean specifically to the n810, is there a noticeable difference when, for example, playing video or audio from the card...

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
My opinion is that the class 2 SD cards are already faster than the N8x0 memory card interface can use. There is/was a 48MHz (?) kernel patch that theoretically doubles the N8x0 read/write speed, but it is not supported by Nokia. Only if you are using this patch then Class 2 cards may become bottleneck.

You should also remember that the classification only refers to the guaranteed minimum sustained write speed. Read speed has nothing to do with this, and is typically much faster than write speed.

Also the Class ratings can be conservative: I have couple class 2 Sandisk 8GB microSD cards, and both can write over 6MB/s when using external card reader. When using with the N810 the write speed was significantly lower... between 1-2MB/s if I remember right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
My opinion is that the class 2 SD cards are already faster than the N8x0 memory card interface can use. There is/was a 48MHz (?) kernel patch that theoretically doubles the N8x0 read/write speed, but it is not supported by Nokia. Only if you are using this patch then Class 2 cards may become bottleneck.

You should also remember that the classification only refers to the guaranteed minimum sustained write speed. Read speed has nothing to do with this, and is typically much faster than write speed.

Also the Class ratings can be conservative: I have couple class 2 Sandisk 8GB microSD cards, and both can write over 6MB/s when using external card reader. When using with the N810 the write speed was significantly lower... between 1-2MB/s if I remember right.
TYVM, thats what I was wondering.