Hi all, i am new to the portable gadget world and have a few questions about the N800.

1. what websites dont work with opera? ive read that youtube is one of those. is this because of the incapable flash version?

2. can i have multiple tabbed browers open in opera? press a button, and all sites get updated?

3. can N800 get into and stay logged into IRC?

4. can i download files and save them to SD card?

5. does N800 have a usb slot?

6. is the spreadsheet program viewable on mac/pc...can they be converted into excel?

thanks.

ive been also debating the sony ux280p, but i feel it is an overkill for my intended use of websurfing.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Hi all, i am new to the portable gadget world and have a few questions about the N800.
Search is your friend around these parts (we'd like to be also, but "you can't get there from here").

1. what websites dont work with opera? ive read that youtube is one of those. is this because of the incapable flash version?
Netvibes, Meebo, and many others with heavy AJAXy stuff. It's a "try it out" type thing really.

2. can i have multiple tabbed browers open in opera? press a button, and all sites get updated?
No, but you can have multiple browser windows open at once.

Not sure, there's GAIM I believe, and Google Talk works fairly well. And also Gizmo is a nice solution.

4. can i download files and save them to SD card?
Yes.

5. does N800 have a usb slot?
Yes. It's the mini connection that most digital cameras these days have.

6. is the spreadsheet program viewable on mac/pc...can they be converted into excel?
Not really sure what spreadsheet program you are referring to here. Maybe someone else can answer that one for you.

thanks.
No prob.

ive been also debating the sony ux280p, but i feel it is an overkill for my intended use of websurfing.

Depends on what your intended uses are and your budget...mostly your budget though.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

1: Youtube works. It's just that the framerate is very very low. Get the latest N800 firmware to get at least a slight improvement.
Most websites work just fine, including gmail. Java applets are not supported though.

2: No tabs in this Opera version (that I know), but you can have multiple windows open. This works basically as on the desktop.

3: I would assume so, I haven't tried. But there are several IRC routes, I can't see any reason why you couldn't stay logged in. The rest of the system can stay constantly connected.

4: Yes, no problem at all.

5: It has a mini-USB connector. But it isn't a USB host, i.e. it works as your card reader works, not as your desktop computer works. You can connect your N800 to a computer and the computer can see filesystems on the N800, not the other way around.

6: If you install Gnumeric then Gnumeric should be able to save in Excel format. I've only done this with a desktop version of Gnumeric, but it worked fine. (There isn't a pre-installed spreadsheet program on the N800 out of the box, but it's available as 3party apps, with many other very good and useful apps)

Originally Posted by =DC= View Post
Not sure, there's GAIM I believe, and Google Talk works fairly well. And also Gizmo is a nice solution.
Not really sure what spreadsheet program you are referring to here. Maybe someone else can answer that one for you.
XChat is available for IRC. Works nicely.

Gnumeric will save to excel format fine, among other formats.

HTH

R.
==

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ SLO, CA
I have a question...and yes I've used the search function, but am having trouble finding a a thread dealing with my question. Does updating firmware simultaneously update Maemo? Also, how do you do either of these processes?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Concerning the tabbed browsing question... Minimo (based on Mozilla) will do that for you.

Tim

thanks all for the responses...how about browsing ajax based sites? opera can handle gmail and other google apps? does opera also have encryption to log into bank accounts, ebay, other stuff on amazon and such?

thanks

That's all been asked and answered in lots and lots of threads already, including a couple others just today.
Short answer: Some ajax stuff works (gmail), others don't (google docs). Encryption/certificates no problem, but no java applets. Javascript ok.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Many Ajax-heavy sites (try mine for example) do work... Others do not -- basically, what DC said above.

I have luck with a lot of sites, though (even Group-Office), so there haven't been many difficulties.

-T.

hi tim, cool use of ajax on your site. i just started learning web development and use ajax in some of my sites...

i have another question....media max for cingular do not allow tethering, but it seems that plenty folks here use this plan for online use to their n800. so my question is, are people still using this?