first off i would like to thank internet tablet talk for being such a great resource for all nokia n8xx.
After many months of soul searching i have now purchased a nokia n810 tablet and can not say more then WOW!!!.. A few weeks with this machine and i can't seem to leave it out of my site. I am currently learning about the whole new world of unix , am alittle bit more advanced then a newbie however without a doubt a learner by any standard.

i have looked through the forums alot sometimes even burning the midnight candle and pissing off the wife.. oh well..

my biggest question i have at the moment is ..

I have a nokia n810 with the maemo os version 2.2007.51.3 and have looked at the wikipedia page which shows that i have the current and most uptodate os .(was already preloaded right out of the box..) My question is.
Is it worth or possible moving the tablet to the diablo edition and if so possible how ? . what are the pros and cons ?

I have a ton of questions but i figure this is the best start to my madness..

thankyou to all that respond...

Welcome.

Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
...My question is.
Is it worth or possible moving the tablet to the diablo edition and if so possible how ? . what are the pros and cons ?...
I use the latest release for my N800. There's room for improvement, but it works well for me. I use the tablet mostly for web browsing in bed/on the go/etc.

Here's how to upgrade.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Is the wiki showing Chinook as the current rev? I did the Chinook to Diablo upgrade rather early, as I was eager to get the in-place upgrades. That being said; the manual upgrade process is pretty painless (I did it from a Linux system, and it is straight-forward).

You probably want to be on Diablo at this point. It's a good leaping off point for some of the debian and KDE extensions that are available -- if you're willing to wander off the "supported path".

Diablo, in addition to the newer (painless) upgrade process, has newer applications which many prefer (e.g. the mail agent), though (for me) the newer revisions of things like Canola are really where you want to be.

The ITT has lead me down some very interesting experimental paths at home (where I run Fedora based linux systems) for file service, pod/netcasts, expanding my media server, and newer interesting things I'm dealing with.

My personal advice is to definately go for the Diablo upgrade. I typically stay in the mainstream application venue (but wander otherwise) - and Diablo is definately mature enough now to be a good starting place.

Welcome to ITT. You, on occasion may wish you'd taken the blue pill, but in general will appreciate the new approach....

ace thankyou for your quick reply.

what are the pros and cons of doing this..

The Following User Says Thank You to gtaguy For This Useful Post:
thankyou fattomm.. i like the the off beaten path.. and i think thats why i decided to challenge myself with this device.. I have two weeks off during christmas which i will use to learn and play around with my tablet . weather i brick the device or learn a crap load of unix related stuff i guess is up to me.. I know that atleast i have ITT here to support .. Im going all out and my tablet and is going to get diablo as of today.. Im going to read up as much as i can to make sure i don't learn the hard way.. cheers..

Last edited by gtaguy; 2008-11-26 at 00:28.

I guess my next question is .. should i be using the oldest diablo version or can i just skip and go to the very newest ???
4.2008.23-14 June 2008 Adds SSU support
4.2008.30-2 August 2008 First SSU update
4.2008.36-5 September 2008

thankyou for your responses..

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Get the newest one. I assume since you say you're new to unix that your desktop computer is windows. If so, just go to Nokia's official page for updating. It's all very automatic. https://www.nokiausa.com/A4686323

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post: