Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey guys.

I've got a N800 with default 2007 OS.

I installed telnet-1.5-1_armel.deb

Everything works just fine, but if I'm using X-Term in full screen mode, I keep getting my connection lost.

So say I go to nethack.alt.org through Telnet. If X-Term is minimized, I've got no problem logging on. But if X-Term is in full screen mode, I still am able to log on but it says lost connection every time at the point where I choose my character for the game.

Any help or advice on this?

Thanks.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Wow, that sounds weird... is it cutting at the same place every time?
Might be a caracter the terminal doesn't like? (sounds awful but maybe...)

I too think it must be a character the terminal (or xterm) doesn't like, and it somehow affects only full screen mode.
I don't have any N800 telnet installed so I don't know its capabilities, but the desktop telnet has a possibility to enable a tracefile where transfer data can be logged.
If the N800 version can't do it maybe you could analyze the traffic with a desktop telnet connection. It's been a long time since I've used telnet (for anything else than testing if e.g. an ssh- or http port is alive), but IIRC some telnet clients also had the possibility to filter the data stream (remap characters), which could possibly be used if there's indeed some strange character.

However, there's one quick test you could do right away - change your terminal emulator. Before you run telnet, enter
export TERM=vt100
to change to a different, xterm-compatible subset of the xterm terminal type. See if that makes any difference.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well I tried the export TERM=vt100 but that didn't seem to do much of anything.

Here's a screenshot of the trouble when logging to nethack.alt.org

Name:  shot.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  25.0 KB

All I press on the keyboard at this time is the letter "p", that's it.

It creates this error every time at the exact same time, but only if it's in full screen mode, not with a minimized window screen. I don't have any problems with X-Term being minimized.

As for the other suggestions... I'm a real newbie, so back tracing log telnet desktop tracking stream filter connection testing is completely beyond my world.

I also wanted to ask one more thing. Does X-Term allow for the "-bc" or "-cr" commands?
I'm trying to get rid of the highlighted cursor if that's at all possible.

Thanks guys!