Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Wow! I didn't know about either of these browsers being in development. Thank you BOTH for your browser developments and contributions to the N900.

When you say flash works, you mean the same flash 9.xxx that comes with every N900 or something else?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@all - guys, I am not asking for advices nor ideas here. What I need is DEVELOPERS to help me continue work on this project. When (and if) it is ready for masses there will be announce thread where you can request features, say how stupid is the idea of writing another browser, etc. Please all of you, if you have no intention to join development do not comment here, just start another thread on your own or use some other for this purpose.

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Developers have a finite amount of time, and therefore will want to commit time to a project is likely to succeed in order to not waste that time.

Any project needs an audience. People are questioning the value of the project at its inception as compared to existing projects and existing applications. Rather than providing a value proposition, you are shutting down discussion that could lead to interest from potential developers.

Good luck. I hope you are successful and look forward to your announce.

No need to reply to this message as thread rules you have just created would disallow me from replying in turn, which would be inequitable.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
fennec fast? What have you people been eating? Last time, yesterday when nightly was updated, I clocked different page loading times and rendering speed against Opera and opera is still quite a lot faster than fennec. Opera just loads pages on my N900 faster and is even responsive while itīs loading pages.

But to OP it's always nice to see new experiments to be done!

just bumping the thread

Originally Posted by HellFlyer
What's the point? Fennec with Phony addon behaves exactly like a fully desktop browser , Mozilla dev team are just tweaking it to make faster

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Well I run fennec + music player and sometimes checking emails its good enough for me...if you're having problems slowdowns related to with swapping try swappolube. I applied recommended settings and so far swap usage is pretty good
What are you smoking, Fennec brings the N900 to its knees within loading a single page. Even with swappolube and me running at 1.1ghz. the ui in fennec hangs horribly and make the n900 almost unresponsive. You have to keep in mind that the real target audience for fennec is android, and all those phone have 512ram at least.

On top of that theres no need to disregard the need for alternate browsers, for example, I hate the menu bar at the bottom of Microb, I want it smaller. The ability to have tabs for example, I dont like having 12 windows open.

I hope this gets the Development it deserves.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ear0wax For This Useful Post:
Wish this were touch friendly. Would love a Qt browser, Qts the only thing that runs good in Maemo.

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Wish this were touch friendly. Would love a Qt browser, Qts the only thing that runs good in Maemo.
Ok, I will consider that if development continues

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
@freemangordon

Hi! I made a Qt web browser some time ago. It's almost complete, but it was just a sort of big exercise to learn Qt, so it's not absolutely bugs/errors free and needs many many optimizations...and it was made by a beginner, so code is not so beautiful
It's touchscreen optimised, so maybe it's not what you are looking for, but it could be a good starting point.

I'll be honest: I don't have much free time (unfortunately, I am not rich and I have to work T T ), and I'm not an advanced Qt developer, but if you want I can try to help you.

Some infos about my work:
  • tabbed browsing (sort of...not real tabs but thumbs of opened pages)
  • fovorites management
  • history
  • download manager
  • passwords saving
  • settings (cookies, fonts, etc...)
  • animated UI
  • SQLite database for data saving
  • written with Qt 4.6

I would like to rewrite it using Qt 4.7/QML, someday...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
@freemangordon

Hi! I made a Qt web browser some time ago. It's almost complete, but it was just a sort of big exercise to learn Qt, so it's not absolutely bugs/errors free and needs many many optimizations...and it was made by a beginner, so code is not so beautiful
It's touchscreen optimised, so maybe it's not what you are looking for, but it could be a good starting point.

I'll be honest: I don't have much free time (unfortunately, I am not rich and I have to work T T ), and I'm not an advanced Qt developer, but if you want I can try to help you.

Some infos about my work:
  • tabbed browsing (sort of...not real tabs but thumbs of opened pages)
  • fovorites management
  • history
  • download manager
  • passwords saving
  • settings (cookies, fonts, etc...)
  • animated UI
  • SQLite database for data saving
  • written with Qt 4.6

I would like to rewrite it using Qt 4.7/QML, someday...
That is cool. But.. would you be more clear, do you want to contribute to qtmweb or you want me to finish your browser. If you want to contribute I think your code could be of use. Did you checkout qtmweb source from repository ?

Last edited by freemangordon; 2010-12-09 at 18:33.

Tags
duke nukem, vapourware