Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
Greetings all,
Recent owner of a N810 all because of what I've read here.
Palm user of 12 years now and attempting to transition to IT only.

I need an encrypted password manager that can be used on my N810 AND on my WinXP PC. Currently I use eWallet and MemoSafe on my Palm & PC.

Searching here reveals "Password Safe" which appears to be abandoned due to lack of support for current DB formats (lots of posts found here detailing why it no longer works and legacy work-arounds). Also found "TrueCrypt" which is currently being worked on, but not ready with a dumbed down UI that I need. I tried NoteCase and had success creating a populated DB on my PC and was able to open/modify it on my N810, then see those changes back on the PC.

Before I commit to the arduous task of converting 100's of encrypted memos to NoteCard, I wanted to ask if there is anything else I've missed that I should also try.

Cheers!

Last edited by speednut; 2008-03-05 at 19:49. Reason: It's NoteCase, not NoteCard. Sorry!

The Following User Says Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
You might check out gpasman
It looks to only be 2 weeks old

The Following User Says Thank You to ericdkirk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
I've not found anything usable at all - where do I find NoteCard?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Greetings all,
Palm user of 12 years now and attempting to transition to IT only.
You could also install the Garnet VM and continue to use your current Palm password management solutions. Sure, not as swanky as a full-blown maemo app, or port from x86 Linux/Unix, but it would save you the trouble of data conversion (which would likely be quite manual), and leverage all of your existing software investment.

The Following User Says Thank You to everythingsablur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
You might check out gpasman
It looks to only be 2 weeks old
Thanks as I didn't find that one previously.
However on the project homepage there is no mention of a version that will also work on a WinXP PC.

Any other suggestions?

Greetings all,
Welcome!

I need an encrypted password manager that can be used on my N810 AND on my WinXP PC. Currently I use eWallet and MemoSafe on my Palm & PC.

Searching here reveals "Password Safe" which appears to be abandoned due to lack of support for current DB formats (lots of posts found here detailing why it no longer works and legacy work-arounds). Also found "TrueCrypt" which is currently being worked on, but not ready with a
Truecrypt is not a password manager...it creates encrypted hard disk (and memory card) partitions...all data stored on those devices will be encrypted.

Before I commit to the arduous task of converting 100's of encrypted memos to NoteCard, I wanted to ask if there is anything else I've missed that I should also try.
Cheers!
For a password manager, I highly recommend keepass. There are Maemo, Windows, and Linux (desktop) versions. The Maemo version is only really usable with an N810, since Qt for Maemo doesn't support the Hildon on-screen keyboard yet.

I don't know what data you've got in your encrypted memos, or how well it will handle that.

See http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/dists/ch...rmel/keepassx/

and search the 'net for "keepass" and "keepassx" for the Windows and Linux desktop versions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z2n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmy View Post
I've not found anything usable at all - where do I find NoteCard?
Dohh, my mistake, it's NoteCase.
Project homepage

Sorry about that!

Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
You could also install the Garnet VM and continue to use your current Palm password management solutions. Sure, not as swanky as a full-blown maemo app, or port from x86 Linux/Unix, but it would save you the trouble of data conversion (which would likely be quite manual), and leverage all of your existing software investment.
Yes, I was considering going that route, but after reading a lot of posts in the Garnet forum about future Garnet support, expiring betas, etc, I'm nervous. I've played with the Garnet app and I'm successfully running a few programs there. However I still can not get the DateBook to sync (all other PIM apps sync fine) and based on info from the Garnet forum it's due to me running newer version of the Palm desktop. I can't find any posts there from users that have 100% successful syncs which version of Palm desktop they are using. That and I can crash the VM loosing all data entered since the last time I exited the VM (seems to save on exit). Nonetheless, I'll still need to run the Garnet VM for a few apps (teal auto for example).

Hmm, longer rant than I expected, maybe I need to post some questions in the Garnet forum too.

Shall I assume that using cygwin rsync on my WinXP box is the best way to keep password app DB, docs, etc... "hotsynced" (synchronized) between my N810 and my PC?

Originally Posted by z2n View Post
Truecrypt is not a password manager...it creates encrypted hard disk (and memory card) partitions...all data stored on those devices will be encrypted.
Understood. I just have a bunch of data needing encryption, 60% of it password data, the rest has no formatting, just a simple text file (notes).

Originally Posted by z2n View Post
For a password manager, I highly recommend keepass. There are Maemo, Windows, and Linux (desktop) versions. The Maemo version is only really usable with an N810, since Qt for Maemo doesn't support the Hildon on-screen keyboard yet.

See http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/dists/ch...rmel/keepassx/

and search the 'net for "keepass" and "keepassx" for the Windows and Linux desktop versions.
Outstanding! I'll try that next. KeePass homepage. Thank You!

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
I have Garnet running and I use it for an Ultralingua French dictionary and SplashID password manager which work ok. But it's sort of flaky and I'd like something that has a future rather than a kludge.
I find the IT a bit like that, though. By turns brilliant and then amateur. For example, I set up Skype last week. A cinch to set up....BUT...I wanted it for SMS for which I use Skype mainly on my desktop. So having set it up, I go to send an SMS. Er, it can't do that!
My £10 Nokia PAYG can - why can my £300 IT not?