Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Ancaster
Hi, Sorry if this is easy!
Am trying to access a works network.
I have the WEP key and the N800 is getting in clean but I need to setup manually the default router and DNS's
How is this done please ?????

Chris

The way I do it, is to become root in the terminal then edit your /etc/resolv.conf file
change the nameserver line to point to the ip address you want (instead of 127.0.0.1).

I'm very curious as to why maemo doesn't update the resolv.conf automatically with information from dhcp as normal linux distributions do. Or am I overlooking something?

Hope that helps,

Evan.

Oh I didn't see that you wanted to set your default route as well. Are you sure you need to? The tablet should get that from the DHCP server as well.

If you are needing to set everything manually you could edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and change the iface eth0 line (and add the following lines below it:

iface eth0 inet static
address <your ip address>
netamsk <probably 255.255.255.0>
gateway <default route ip>

Then run the commands:
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

Once again, I could be missing something obvious, I'm very familiar with linux, but less familiar with Maemo.

Originally Posted by evanjfraser View Post
The way I do it, is to become root in the terminal then edit your /etc/resolv.conf file
change the nameserver line to point to the ip address you want (instead of 127.0.0.1).

I'm very curious as to why maemo doesn't update the resolv.conf automatically with information from dhcp as normal linux distributions do. Or am I overlooking something?

Hope that helps,

Evan.
You don't need the console to edit your DNS! Goto WLAN settings manager and edit your Connection (you will find dns entry in one of those submenus). Same for router IP!

If you chose DHCP, the DNS server will be written to /tmp/resolv.conf.wlan0, but local fqdn will be ignored (bug 995).

Last edited by N770-Freak; 2007-11-16 at 09:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N770-Freak For This Useful Post:
Guys, I suspect that what he wants to know is very simple and basic, and I fear you're going to totally confuse him here :-)

2e1ebr, start with this :

- open Control Panel (from side menu)
- tap on "Connectivity"
- tap middle button at the bottom ("Connections")
- select the connection name for your workplace net and tap the "edit" button
- on the first dialog tap the "Next" button, and again on the second dialog
- if the third dialog is for the WEP key, tap "Next" again
- you should be on the final dialog where it says setup is finished, only it's not : tap on the "Advanced parameters" button
- there, in the midlle tab "IP addresses" you can uncheck the "automatically get, etc." checkbox. Then you can fill in the fields for your 770's IP address, subnet mask, router (gateway) and DNS as given to you by your network admin.
- sometimes a proxy is mandatory, you can configure that in the left tab too.
- save your info and try connecting...

Good luck !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Hi, Thanks for the info. Have setup ip, mask, router, dns (I am admin here so these are correct)
Must be limited by a VPN under Renault's control. Not poss to swipe settings from "Laptops" as they are "Clips" with reduced system and all very locked in.
Smeg
Plan B find a spare access point and install in my office, under MY control.

Sure - just don't get caught :-)

You could also try USB networking through your PC, if it's not too hardened - less detectable (there are Howtos somewhere in the forum).

PS - thanks for the thanks guys :-)

I have free range here with hardware! If it have wires or buttons it's me to mend it. Just the bits that Renault control that are Evil like this swine VPN diagnostics. Got 2x Business 8M Broadband lines, nice.

That could be an option, will have a search of forum and get the wire at lunch, no work getting done here this afternoon

Strange how with all this wireless you end up using wires? Power, network, printer....

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, AL, USA
This is great -- the question came to me today, and a quick search revealed this thread. However, I'd like to take it one step farther: now that I can define the DNS entry, how can I define the domain name? When I want to connect to an Intranet host, I still have to type in the FQDN, and that's annoying...

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, AL, USA
Oh, never mind -- just saw bug 995 listed above. Don't know how I missed that first time...