Active Topics

Notices

As I stated earlier, the playlist is saved in the wrong format if one of the filenames included in the playlist contain special/accented characters like ö, ü, à, è, ã and so on. To be on the safe side, you should first rename these files, then run the scanner to get them re-recognized by kagu. (You'll be ok if you don't put those files in the playlist, but since you can't see the actual filenames in kagu but only tags, you'll have trouble pinpointing them)

Playlists are saved in the Sounds directory (~/MyDocs/.sounds) and you can delete them using the builtin File Manager for now. Overwriting also works. Should have a delete playlist option by the next release.

A scan's action is not relevant to an m3u file's contents. Scanner just searches and indexes certain directories (the "Sounds" dir and the mmc cards) against playlist (m3u) files, and supported song formats (mp3, ogg, and so on). It doesn't even read the m3u file contents.

You had to edit globals.py because scanner doesn't look in the .kagu dir for content, as this dir is only used for the "current playlist" (saved when kagu exits and re-loaded on startup) and certain data files/cover art. Custom playlists are supposed to go in Sounds or in mmc cards, and scanner already scans for those. You don't have to run scanner if you saved the playlist in Kagu as it already records that information, but if you put different named (not saved from Kagu) playlist files you have to run a scan first.

Speaking of, full scans are only necessary if you want "new cover art" to be downloaded, or if you edited one of the id3 tags and want the change recognized. Other than that don't run full scans, they're just too slow and unnecessary.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Last edited by disq; 2007-10-16 at 10:28.

I'm sorry to intervene in the whole fiasco, but I have a dumb question and problem with Kagu. For some reason, it doesn't list the artists of the songs when I look under Artists. It just says "Various Artists", even though I named the songs like "Artist Name- Song Name" and I downloaded these off Ruckus, so all the ID3 tags are intact, what gives?

Originally Posted by disq View Post
As I stated earlier, the playlist is saved in the wrong format if one of the filenames included in the playlist contain special/accented characters like ö, ü, à, è, ã and so on. To be on the safe side, you should first rename these files, then run the scanner to get them re-recognized by kagu. (You'll be ok if you don't put those files in the playlist, but since you can't see the actual filenames in kagu but only tags, you'll have trouble pinpointing them)

Playlists are saved in the Sounds directory (~/MyDocs/.sounds) and you can delete them using the builtin File Manager for now. Overwriting also works. Should have a delete playlist option by the next release.

A scan's action is not relevant to an m3u file's contents. Scanner just searches and indexes certain directories (the "Sounds" dir and the mmc cards) against playlist (m3u) files, and supported song formats (mp3, ogg, and so on). It doesn't even read the m3u file contents.

You had to edit globals.py because scanner doesn't look in the .kagu dir for content, as this dir is only used for the "current playlist" (saved when kagu exits and re-loaded on startup) and certain data files/cover art. Custom playlists are supposed to go in Sounds or in mmc cards, and scanner already scans for those. You don't have to run scanner if you saved the playlist in Kagu as it already records that information, but if you put different named (not saved from Kagu) playlist files you have to run a scan first.

Speaking of, full scans are only necessary if you want "new cover art" to be downloaded, or if you edited one of the id3 tags and want the change recognized. Other than that don't run full scans, they're just too slow and unnecessary.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Disq: Wonderful clarification. I think this answers all my concerns (for now!). Again, many, many thanks.

Hey, has anyone tried out the new scroll bars? You can turn them on from the Menu (scroll down to see the option).

I spent a lot of time on them, and I'm curious to know what the users think of them. They're useful if you do a lot of seeking within songs right now, and also when dealing with long lists.

Bring the comments. Thanks.

Love the scroll bars. Much easier and more precise to use than dragging one's finger. Also, now being able to label and save playlists is a great way for segregating chapters of audio books.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Love the scroll bars. Much easier and more precise to use than dragging one's finger. Also, now being able to label and save playlists is a great way for segregating chapters of audio books.
I've decided to make this a separate thread with a poll. Please vote and feel free to leave a comment there:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=10608

ascherjim,

I updated the WIKI with the latest playlist save/recall/delete information.

tubbycricket,
are you sure the mp3 tags are correctly filled in by Ruckus? the file name is not used for the naming within KAGU.

trevarthan,
I love the new scroll bars!

Originally Posted by audioworld View Post
ascherjim,

I updated the WIKI with the latest playlist save/recall/delete information.

tubbycricket,
are you sure the mp3 tags are correctly filled in by Ruckus? the file name is not used for the naming within KAGU.

trevarthan,
I love the new scroll bars!
Yeah, I checked the ID3 tags through TagRename and everything seems to be in place. And I think the file name does make a difference because when I left the files as just [NoDRM]Song Name, it gave the artist's name as [NoDRM] even though the song was tagged. Now when I change the file name it gives the artist and song properly, but when I try to search under Artists, it just says Various Artists. And even weirder, when Kagu tries to search for album covers, it comes up with some strange cartoon tree with koalas hanging on them, even though the bands were Children of Bodom and Megadeth. What should I do?

tubbycricket,

we need disq or trevarthan to answer this, as I have no code-level insight on how the extraction of artists works. I never experienced wrong or generic arist names when there are proper id3 tags.
I do experience wired album art sometimes, but I am not too worried if I see landscapes, barely covered women, or koalas haning from trees on my screen (maybe something to do with my childhood experiences..---))))))

Originally Posted by tubbycricket View Post
Yeah, I checked the ID3 tags through TagRename and everything seems to be in place. And I think the file name does make a difference because when I left the files as just [NoDRM]Song Name, it gave the artist's name as [NoDRM] even though the song was tagged. Now when I change the file name it gives the artist and song properly, but when I try to search under Artists, it just says Various Artists. And even weirder, when Kagu tries to search for album covers, it comes up with some strange cartoon tree with koalas hanging on them, even though the bands were Children of Bodom and Megadeth. What should I do?
Are all the songs in one directory? If so, try arranging them in dirs by artist or album. Kagu's Various Artists functionality requires that as ID3 has no provisions for Various Artists really.