Is anybody familiar with this version of the 770 OS. I stumbled across it on a Nokia website that lists all of the OS versions for the 770 and 800.

It was too large to fit on my memory card (only 64 meg), so I downloaded it into my PC. I expect to get a 1 gig card tomorrow. In the meantime I was wondering if anybody is currently using it, and if it pays to give it a try.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hi and welcome to the forum.

There has been lots of discussion about OS 2007 Hacker Edition here. Please use the search function to find existing threads instead of creating a new one.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sycohen View Post
Is anybody familiar with this version of the 770 OS. I stumbled across it on a Nokia website that lists all of the OS versions for the 770 and 800.

It was too large to fit on my memory card (only 64 meg), so I downloaded it into my PC. I expect to get a 1 gig card tomorrow. In the meantime I was wondering if anybody is currently using it, and if it pays to give it a try.
You don't install this firmware on your memory card... you re-flash your entire device with the OS 2007HE firmware just as you would with OS 2006 firmware (ie. using the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update wizard).

Here's a thread discussing the current version of OS 2007HE:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4852

Also, there should be a new version coming up "in the next few weeks", so you might not want to reflash right away...

Thanks for the pointers, everybody. I hadn't look too deeply at the tablet software wizard and didn't realize that it could load a previously downloaded file.

I installed the Hacker edition without any problem. Funny that it comes up with Nokia 800 as the default device name. I ran it for a couple of hours. It didn't seem to run any faster than OS 2006, and in some cases it was noticeably slower. So I reflashed with the latest OS2006. I will take a look again when the Hacker edition upgrade is released.

I've had the 770 for all of a week, and I love it. It does everything that I expected it to do and more. My only problem has been that there are some Java issues when I try to go to my ISP's Internet mail server.

I actually compared it side by side with an IPhone in a local Apple store. The IPhone has a brighter, but smaller screen. The 770 has much better resolution. My standard test, downloading the NY Times front page with the 770 hooked into the Apple Network - advantage 770.
The 770 shows a marked res advantage when zooming that page to 150%.

Of course the 770 doesn't have the Pizazz of the Iphone. Then again it doesn't have AT&T - That's a good thing.

Local gossip says that Apple's first choice for a Carrier was Verizon. But, Verizon wanted to cripple the phone's functions like they do with all their other phones.