Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Remember that the N900 runs a modern X server with compositing and most likely EXA acceleration. Compositing videos and OpenGL is possible with that. On desktop Linux this often still remains a dream because the drivers are not there yet, but the N900 has the appropriate drivers.

OTOH, I doubt that we are going to see as many 3D apps for Maemo as for the iPhone. Even on Android 3D games are rare and often disappointing. The only good 3D game I can remember is Amardillo Roll, which is a tech demo by the CPU maker Qualcomm, and looks very similar to that Bounce game on the N900.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The problem, as attila77 says, is the lack of real hardware. The SDK doesn't emulate Open GL-ES, so you get the full Open GL of the host computer available. This isn't particularly helpful.
Perhaps the nested x-server can be compiled with opengl-es rendering in software. Doing this on a multi-core linux system might allow all that rendering to be handled by a seperate cpu core. [edit] Yes i know that sounds terribly slow, but my feeling is it could be quite acceptable at 800x480 if running on its own core.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks to quingu for asking this again; I am also still very curious as to how OpenGL-ES will work for games, and what we need to do it.

Quim said the Quake3 port is being done by Maemo devs and will be released at the Summit (1)(2). I'm hoping they'll make the source available and it will be very clear to developers how to make new OpenGL-ES games using their methods. It will also provide a good 3D engine for making new games, as there are lots of games based on the Q3 engine...

I have a couple questions about OpenGL(ES) and its implementation in the UI's composting. How complete is it? Can we expect improvements before release?

My biggest concern about this device (which I have pre-ordered) is that nearly all of the demo videos show significant UI lag, stuttering, and hesitation in my opinion. I've noticed this occasionally with the panoramic desktop and very often with transitions. This is especially obvious to me when transitioning from "the dashboard" to full screen.

I know many people will be quick to say "prototype" and I am really hoping this is correct. I suppose my question really comes down to wondering what more can be done to smooth out the user experience?

When looking at the Palm Pre, iPhone, Zune HD, etc, they have a beautifully fluid transitions and scrolling. Is it unrealistic to expect such a liquid experience with this device given the OpenGL acceleration?

Last edited by JayBomb999; 2009-09-21 at 20:34.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
@JayBomb999

I'm not making excuses but there are huge differences with what the Pre, iPhone and Zune are doing compared to the N900.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Stop complaining and start porting your OpenGL ES games, ladies and gentleman!

We got OpenGL ES 2 working! Check the previous page for a screenshot of this sample in SDK and source code download

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
@JayBomb999

I'm not making excuses but there are huge differences with what the Pre, iPhone and Zune are doing compared to the N900.
OK. Does that mean expectations for smooth transitions and lag-less UI are unrealistic?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
From everything I have seen, it is smooth, liquid, and "lag-less"

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
javispedro: how does this perform? The last word that I heard from the Maemo folks was that yes, OpenGL-ES works, but there's a terrible performance hit (30%). Kimmo Hämäläinen said that he was "working on it".

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
qole

i have to say, it renders beautifully.
its really slick and responsive and the colors are bright and vibrant.

as for in motion, i do not know since its a static single triangle.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: