Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
@slate8: Compatibility with Windows don't interest me: I don't like use DOS systems. I use Windows only at school. In an emergency, I will keep an 8GB Fat32 miniSD in my N900. Do not have the limitation of 2GB file is not the only advantage. The very low fragmentation of Ext2 format is another.

@GeneralAntilles: Yes but Ext3 is a journaling FS. It is not good for flash memories.

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
@slate8: Compatibility with Windows don't interest me: I don't like use DOS systems. I use Windows only at school. In an emergency, I will keep an 8GB Fat32 miniSD in my N900. Do not have the limitation of 2GB file is not the only advantage. The very low fragmentation of Ext2 format is another.

@GeneralAntilles: Yes but Ext3 is a journaling FS. It is not good for flash memories.
Thanks. I was a little bit worried about no Windows compatibility (not for me at my home PC but on any of my friends PC). But I can use the entire internal 32GB as ext2/3 and keep the microSD as FAT. So no need to worry anymore :-) ...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Actually, ext3 is better for flash than having to repair the filesystem every time you run out of power. The journalling is a much smaller burden than fscking the whole fs on boot. So, no, you're mistaken.

Either way, modern flash memory is durable enough that pretty much no matter what you do you aren't going to wear it out within the usable lifetime of the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Actually, ext3 is better for flash than having to repair the filesystem every time you run out of power. The journalling is a much smaller burden than fscking the whole fs on boot. So, no, you're mistaken.
The problem I see is that the number of times I've run out of power in the tablets is 0, which is what I'd expect considering they have their own UPSs (the batteries) after all. Metadata only journaling is nearly imperceptible in terms of flash durability, but it creates an additional performance hit.

Crashes are another story, and if we're to expect the kernel crashing a lot ext3 is the logical choice (or not , if some horror stories are to be believed...).

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Have a look at this puppy, spot the reference to 3G on ATT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuHgB..._embedded#t=86

Personally i dont think he realises its running on Edge.

Edit: The text pops up later saying its Tmobile 3G.. lol.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I think we would have a very positive problem, once for normal users they would have so many useful applications that 1gb of space would start to become an issue.
Well, Curse Of Monkey Island is nearly > 1 GiB. But of course, I'll assume we can still play it from FAT32.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Well, Curse Of Monkey Island is nearly > 1 GiB. But of course, I'll assume we can still play it from FAT32.
I think the idea for games like that is that the engine (i.e. ScummVM) would sit within the 1GB, but the data files would sit within the 30-ish GB.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
The problem I see is that the number of times I've run out of power in the tablets is 0, which is what I'd expect considering they have their own UPSs (the batteries) after all. Metadata only journaling is nearly imperceptible in terms of flash durability, but it creates an additional performance hit.
Yeah, I should've been less specific. Anything that causes the filesystem not to close properly.

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by slate8 View Post
I guess the advantage of this would be getting over the 2Gb file limit at the cost of losing windows compatibility? Or are there other reasons to favour ext? Just curious
Symbolic links and the execution bit. And IIRC, the ":" character (used, e.g., in the Maildir format).

Last edited by vinc17; 2009-09-19 at 23:24. Reason: update

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia

Crashes are another story, and if we're to expect the kernel crashing a lot ext3 is the logical choice (or not , if some horror stories are to be believed...).
Seriously? Never lost power on the tablets! Wow, either you don't go out much or have some killer battery. I loose power all the time, which is why I use a ext3 partition on my SD instead of ext2. I mean, the tablet DOES die graciously, but sometimes it freezes and you have to pull the battery.

ext4 anyone? I have no idea what benefits it has, but...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post: