Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dadiduekappa View Post
How many colors has the screen of N900?
16M or less???
Since the SDK runs with 65k colors, I suppose the actual device will be the same.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Since the SDK runs with 65k colors, I suppose the actual device will be the same.
nah, thats silly, it cant have only 65k colors..even my old N70 has more (262k)...i assume it has 16 million...atleast thats what the reviewer at the czech site told me...ill try to ask him where he got the info...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I don't know technically how many colours it has, but I know it has plenty of them. The images look good.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
I don't remember exactly where I saw this but it is supposed to be 16M colours.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The (byte) size of the framebuffer is the same as it was on the N8x0-es, so it hints the same (65K) color configuration. However, at the N900's DPI, you're really pushing for fighter pilot eyesight if you can see significant (I daresay almost any) difference.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Dithering actually looks good at this high resolution.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Perhaps your intense reaction stems from a misunderstanding of the meaning of "support" in this context?
You are right, and I now realise that my question does not belong in this thread or the wiki, but in the thread about N900 Specifications. My apologies for that.

The vast majority of Nokia's customers don't care in the least about host-mode support.
I had in mind the vast public that Nokia is missing. A lot of the laptops and notebooks that travellers haul in their hand baggage could be replaced by Maemo devices. Problem is, those travellers and their employers have never heard of Maemo. For the record, most of them don't care in the least about Accelerometer-Induced Enhanced Delusion, or the other features that sell well in the toyshop. One of the things they do want is to be able to plug in their USB sticks at print shops whose owners might object to unfamiliar devices.

I don't know how you will provide power to the device while in host-mode (perhaps tapping into the USB pins in the battery compartment) ...
Part of my question was, "Are we back to hardware hacking?" It sounds as though the answer might be "Yes."

Last edited by scaler; 2009-09-07 at 16:00.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
I had in mind the vast public that Nokia is missing. A lot of the laptops and notebooks that travellers haul in their hand baggage could be replaced by Maemo devices. Problem is, those travellers and their employers have never heard of Maemo. For the record, most of them don't care in the least about Accelerometer-Induced Enhanced Delusion, or the other features that sell well in the toyshop. One of the things they do want is to be able to plug in their USB sticks at print shops that might object to unfamiliar devices.
Unfortunately I still think that the barriers to migration for these users will go well beyond USB issues.

Originally Posted by scaler View Post
Part of my question was, "Are we back to hardware hacking?" It sounds as though the answer might be "Yes."
I definitely would've preferred either dual MicroUSB ports or a 2mm jack (I only have about a thousand AC-4Us lying around), but both cost and user confusion come into play here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
OK bad news, using the standard micro USB cable, my always-useful Female-Female adapter, and an 8GB USB key, I installed and ran "usbcontrol" from the repositories and the mode wouldn't switch from "b_idle" to "host" at all. Trying the old "echo host > /sys/.../musb_hdrc/mode" had the same result. Whatever you write, it is overwritten with "b_idle"...

When you search this kernel patch
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0alpha/free/k/kernel/kernel_2.6.28-20090702r01.diff.gz

for "USB OTG" you can find comments like

+ * MENTOR USB OTG controller on OMAP3430

+ * USB: OTG: Introduce new otg.c code

+ * USB: MUSB: Set OTG_ERR_DEVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED for devices drawing too much power

and so on... This gives me some hope!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koios For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
I don't remember exactly where I saw this but it is supposed to be 16M colours.
Look here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post: