Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Don't take me wrong. They produced a decent device. But it's still alpha or beta and criticism must be allowed.
Since when was that a news?

I guess you have missed read the jolla homepage?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-18 at 23:01.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by kpblxa View Post
battery drain is something ... they should have put double capacity battery in this god damn phone!
No get rid of the android crap is first thing todo. I am sure thats one of the battery drainers. So far my phone atleast holds a day. Probadly because I have no android apps running. Not even dalvik installed...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Well, who will use FAT32, if they could format their cards with btrfs/ext4?
One that should have Windows compatibility

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
No get rid of the android crap is first thing todo. I am sure thats one of the battery drainers. So far my phone atleast holds a day. Probadly because I have no android apps running. Not even dalvik installed...
Somewhere in this thread a method has been posted to stop the android-related services. But, I wonder too when I close (all) Android apps, if all androidy stuff is suspended at that time as well. I have to applaud Alien Dalvik, as for the most part it just seems to work. But I keep wondering if the privacy leeching of Android (especially if I install google stuff) also "just works".

In other words, can we keep Android locked up in its sandbox?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
Not really the android apps. I have some android apps but I'm not running them that much and I can easily manage a day. I think some pages ago some1 posted a link about the bad-ish battery drain and that it is caused (atleast by some amount) by lack of optimisation as Jolla had to change SoC in the last minute.

My battery drains pretty much exactly 20% overnight without any apps running, even having wifi and mobile data off. And GPS ofcourse off too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by att View Post
What I remember about my first experiences with N9 two years ago: N9 PR1.0 had much more bugs than Jolla and PR1.1 was a huge improvement over PR1.0.
Damn straight. Sailfish is already less buggy than N9 PR1.0 and in some instances than PR1.3.

Sure, they've lost some features in the comparison but what's there is a heck of a lot less buggy. If they add the missing features in the next few releases with as few bugs I'll be very impressed and it's a sign of a well managed project that quality is more important than features.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Well, who will use FAT32, if they could format their cards with btrfs/ext4?
Anyone with a Mac or Windows as neither support btrfs/ext4?

At the moment for all intents and purposes the Jolla doesn't either since it won't auto-mount the btrfs/ext4 formatted card so it doesn't really matter.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
But are you actually even using the phone? Not tinkering, actual use. I mean, talking as if Android is the issue, if it's not engaged, then it won't drain a battery.

If you use the thing as a phone, not as a toy, not as a paperweight, but a real phone that communicates with others, surfs the web, sends pictures to others, answer e-mail, use 3G and wi-fi, actually use GPS and whatever is actually there; then what's your battery life like then?

Without stating how you're using the phone, you could claim multiple days worth of battery life and it's just sitting there, forever alone and not in any real use other than just sitting there.

Be more specific. Explain how you're using. Compare usage patterns, not some nebulous term that mean absolutely nothing.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Anyone with a Mac or Windows as neither support btrfs/ext4?

At the moment for all intents and purposes the Jolla doesn't either since it won't auto-mount the btrfs/ext4 formatted card so it doesn't really matter.
This makes me question is any testing for actual usage besides developers were even utilized.

I mean, I know their designers invariably (stereotypically) have Macs. Nobody tested that? Nobody tested a larger than 32gb SDXC card? If so, what do they think would be the consumer friendly answer - mount it, by hand, each time I reboot?

That's about as unorthodox as making calls via Terminal (been there, done that, not exactly Grandma/Mother/emergency friendly)

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But are you actually even using the phone? Not tinkering, actual use. I mean, talking as if Android is the issue, if it's not engaged, then it won't drain a battery.

If you use the thing as a phone, not as a toy, not as a paperweight, but a real phone that communicates with others, surfs the web, sends pictures to others, answer e-mail, use 3G and wi-fi, actually use GPS and whatever is actually there; then what's your battery life like then?
I have used Jolla as my primary phone for a week now. I charge it overnight, take it with me in the morning, and it lasts enough to get back home. I have a car charger, but my wife's Android uses it more than the Jolla does. With my typical usage, the battery usually lasts about 10 hours on a charge, which is OK, but not great. I have WLAN and 3G on, GPS off (I seldom need it for anything anyway), Bluetooth on for the earpiece, two email accounts, Facebook, and Twitter chirping away. Voice calls are a minority these days at maybe 5 to 10 minutes per day, plus a few SMS, but there's nearly constant data activity: instant messages, email, web surfing. I find that the battery consumption is nearly constant.

On the upside, the battery display is realistic and rather linear, more so than the one on my previous phone, a Nokia C7. It was disastrous: when it was down to half, there was maybe 20% left. I ended up installing a third-party battery monitoring app to get a better estimate. (The fuel gauge on my present Ford Mondeo is equally optimistic: the last quarter is more like the last sixth... )

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jsiren For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience