Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
just write python GoogleMaps.py
That way python has to be with executable flag (and it is) and you can run python scripts from the mmc.

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
just write python GoogleMaps.py
That way python has to be with executable flag (and it is) and you can run python scripts from the mmc.
Thanks.
Directory for GoogleMaps.py while downloaded to memory card is
/mdia/mmc1/
so to run it
I write
python /media/mmc1/GoogleMaps.py
I assume to run it as
python GoogleMaps.py
I need to add some code to environment to tell p[ython where to look for py script files.
What line/s should I add ?

Running GoogleMaps.py script off-line
I get black screen and red point in the center only
no menu key is active.
The same happens while running maemo mapper off-line if no map title is available for a pre-set no gps unit lat/lon but menu keys are still active.

What I am doing wrong ?

Darius

Darius

Hi again,

now I run python script
in wifi on mode
I got 3 seperate map tiles downloaded only
on script start up noticed
no joystick module message.

Is that script ok for OS2006 ?
It hangs on my Nokia 770
and goes back to main screen after about a minute
py script is still running - icon visible
but Nokia hangs on
I assume processor is to busy running this script.

Darius

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I just downloaded the pymapper and I have to say that it's really impressive. Good work! I wish you could be able to use the same kind of download source strings as maemo mapper does. It seems legally much nicer than the direct linking to google maps.

I was very surprised how fast it was. Excellent stuff. Perhaps the cached view could be just a little bigger so that moving would not so quickly need to get the map tiles from the database, but hey. Really cool stuf.

How about gps integration?
http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/docu...les/index.html

Very nice!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
"I was reading the maemo-mapper 2.0 wish list a few months ago, and the most interesting proposition I heard was to use sqlite to store all the tile information instead of the file system. I haven't heard any news about maemo-mapper 2.0 since then, and because maemo-mapper crashes and corrupts my mem-card on my N800 whenever I try to download bulk maps, I made my own little version of maemo-mapper."

Just wanted to point out that maemo-mapper has absolutely nothing to do with corrupting anything, that nokia has fixed the bug in the kernel, so this is a non issue. Good luck with your project, but I am a hardcore maemo-mapper fan myself. GNUITE ROCKS!!!

Any way now the new version(2.0) of maemo mapper stores the maps in database, so no more space issues.

Originally Posted by Darius2006 View Post
Hi again,

now I run python script
in wifi on mode
I got 3 seperate map tiles downloaded only
on script start up noticed
no joystick module message.

Is that script ok for OS2006 ?
It hangs on my Nokia 770
and goes back to main screen after about a minute
py script is still running - icon visible
but Nokia hangs on
I assume processor is to busy running this script.

Darius
You seem to be having a lot of issues with a Nokia 770, I'll try to test PyMapper on one of those and see what kind of things I can fix; as I said, the software is very early tech demo stuff.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
"I was reading the maemo-mapper 2.0 wish list a few months ago, and the most interesting proposition I heard was to use sqlite to store all the tile information instead of the file system. I haven't heard any news about maemo-mapper 2.0 since then, and because maemo-mapper crashes and corrupts my mem-card on my N800 whenever I try to download bulk maps, I made my own little version of maemo-mapper."

Just wanted to point out that maemo-mapper has absolutely nothing to do with corrupting anything, that nokia has fixed the bug in the kernel, so this is a non issue. Good luck with your project, but I am a hardcore maemo-mapper fan myself. GNUITE ROCKS!!!
I never said maemo-mapper was causing it, I was having issues with my particular setup, might even be caused by a flaky mem-card.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by rtaranu View Post
I never said maemo-mapper was causing it, I was having issues with my particular setup, might even be caused by a flaky mem-card.
It was implied, but either way I am sure the corruption issue was the fault of the kernel bug.

Help me understand this, stored in db or on FS, your still writing the same amount of data right? perhaps a tad more with the db because you have an index. It may however take less room on the fs because of block size, but each tile is still written.

Am I missing something on how this helps the memory card? Is it the memory in the db being used as cache, still writing the same amount to the card???

I am sure metalayer-crawler will like this much better that maemo-mapper current fs layout..