Active Topics

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Lithuania, Vilnius
Hi,
Foursquare app is not working on Jolla, can't sign in:
"Google Play services, which some of your applications rely on, is not supported by your device. Please contact the manufacturer for assistance".
Any ideas?

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
OT:
Dude... You're in Switzerland and you've got a Jolla! How, how, enlighten us?
Mine was shipped to France. I knew that was a good idea at the time...

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
No barcode scanning program works. seems they don't get access to camera oroperly.

chrome gets installed fibe, but entering a url it just sits there doing nothing.
lots and lots of other apps crashes or malfunctions. Boy, our sailor boys have lots of work to do. But I will be patiently waiting.

do the android apps check some kind of platform identifier string on the phone for it to work? if so, maybe there's a way to change this?

just a guess....*shrug*

Foursquare seems to have few GPS Problems, but finds the general location... I have no idea how it is supposed to work as I've used Ubersquare on the n900 until now.

Whatsapp has a strange problem: Some of my contacts are shown with just their picture and phone number, no name. The others (the majority) is shown correctly with the name. Refreshing contact list didn't work.

Also I am not really sure whether Whatsapp works correctly, it seems not to send any notifications / sounds.

And while we're at it, how exactly do the android apps behave? When is an android app closed an when is it still running in the background? With sailfish apps it's easy to see, but not so sure with android. Is the button on the right a taskswitcher or does it merely show recent apps?

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by kkito View Post
I've installed the apk from whatsapp homepage (http://www.whatsapp.com/android/) , my contacts were already added in the Phone. Anyone knows how to fix it (not able to retrieve contacts)?

Are you able also to add contacts using WA? I got a permission error (or similar) when doing it.

Regards!
I don't know if this was answered already, but if I sync my google contacts all mobile numbers are set as home numbers in my jolla. When syncing contacts Whatsapp looks at the mobile numbers. So I just copied the home numbers to the mobile numbers in the jolla people. Restarted the device and my contacts that have their numbers under mobile are visible in whatsapp.

So if you add a contact to your Jolla phone book with their number set as mobile it will show up in whatsapp. (don't know if a device reboot is required)

The Following User Says Thank You to bertjefred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I wonder if u can install Google maps... Current navigation app on the Jolla phone sux

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I wonder if u can install Google maps... Current navigation app on the Jolla phone sux
Google Maps is also online, tile based. You might be able to download some of it and use it for quasi-offline navigation, but imo that's not worth giving up your privacy.

I've installed OsmAnd~ from f-droid. Offline, vector based OSM maps with offline navigation. I can only hope with the Jolla app will one day achieve feature parity with this app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bertjefred View Post
I don't know if this was answered already, but if I sync my google contacts all mobile numbers are set as home numbers in my jolla. When syncing contacts Whatsapp looks at the mobile numbers. So I just copied the home numbers to the mobile numbers in the jolla people. Restarted the device and my contacts that have their numbers under mobile are visible in whatsapp.

So if you add a contact to your Jolla phone book with their number set as mobile it will show up in whatsapp. (don't know if a device reboot is required)
But contacts in whatsapp only show up as numbers and not the names of the contacts? At least that's how it is when running whatsapp on my Jolla. It becomes very confusing in groups to know who is writing. I hope contact names as well as sending and receiving videos etc will be possible soon.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I try to avoid google, but many companies publish their apps only on the google play store. Needing a google-account is one thing, as I could make one specially for the purpose. Having google's services running in the background on my device however is something I really want to avoid. Are there tools available to download free apps from the play store, without using the play store?

There's this, but that might close down any minute. The alternative, using Chrome, well... That won't run so great on Jolla - like I even would want to use google's browser.

Anymore options?

Tags
aindroid, essential apps