Active Topics

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Hey all,

I had a problem with my N900 no longer seeing ogg/vorbus files. I used to be able to see them in OMP and others, but now they were not being seen. So I went through the forums, and found a post in which recommended the reinstallation of ogg-support. So I did the reinstall:

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall ogg-support
However, things started going arwy fairly quickly. It was replacing ogg-support 1.1.1 with the same version. Unpacking went well, then I started seeing errors:

Code:
Found 166 pids...
Found process ID 4348 for 'trackerd'
  Terminated process 4348
Found process ID 6624 for 'tracker-indexer'
  Terminated process 6624

Could not get files by MIME type, Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
tracker-update-ontology -c Music -d audio/x-vorbis+ogg -d audio/x-flac+ogg -d audio/x-flac -d application/ogg -d audio/ogg
Tracker status is 'Paused'
Could not get files by MIME type, Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Could not get files by MIME type, Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Setting up ogg-support (1.1.1) ...
Unknown media type in type 'sketch/png'
I believe I also saw a segmentation fault, though I don't see it in my scrollback.

The machine rebooted, and now the upper left status bar is a pink rectangle, and all of the text consists of small squares. None of the icons are showing, and I'm getting small squares and no icons in all of the menus and apps. In addition, it appears that something is running crazy, top shows me using 88% cpu, and my load average is about 2.64. browserd seems to be using the bulk of the cpu. Also, filesystems are mounted all crazily, the user account cannot write to anything, it all says "Read-only filesystem". I was able to dump the package list as root.

I tried to fix the install (apt-get -f install), but it tells me

Code:
# apt-get -f install
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
A fairly respectable number of directories tell me "Stale NFS file handle":

Code:
ls: /opt/var: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/cssutransitionstuner: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/tracker-cfg: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/battery-eye: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/spbbrainevolution: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/geotodo: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/tickstill: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/swappolube: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/numptyphysics: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/qtm12: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/fapman-cache: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/openmediaplayer: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/someplayer: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/evilalarm: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/share: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/usr: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/CSSUfeatures: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/mobwebmail: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/marble: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/mumble: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/mypaint: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/BatteryGraph: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/maemo: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/pedometerhomewidget: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/modrana: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/fennec-7.0.1: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/pymaemo: Stale NFS file handle
The rest of the directories in /opt seem to be intact.

Now I have a few questions. Given that my problem seems to be with /opt (/home/opt) and several directories being corrupt or otherwise unavailable, restoring from backups (which, at present includes /home/user, /home/user/MyDocs, and /media/mmc1) isn't going to help much. I was going to try to umount /home and fsck it, but there are several processes using dbs in /home/user, and since I can't see anything from the display of the device -- I'm ssh'ed in, the processes keep respawning...

1) Is there a way to recover the device, or at this point, is cutting my losses and reflashing my best option?

2) I haven't reflashed this thing in nearly 3 years. What is the current wisdom on doing so? (in other words, what version of the flasher, the Nokia rom do I need, and what is the path to the latest CSSU? Do I need to step through all of the previous ones?)

I'll admit to being a wee bit nervous with all the changes to Maemo since the last time I flashed it...If there is a way to recover /home?

Thanks,
--vr

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Hey all,

I had a problem with my N900 no longer seeing ogg/vorbus files. I used to be able to see them in OMP and others, but now they were not being seen. So I went through the forums, and found a post in which recommended the reinstallation of ogg-support. So I did the reinstall:

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall ogg-support
However, things started going arwy fairly quickly. It was replacing ogg-support 1.1.1 with the same version. Unpacking went well, then I started seeing errors:

Code:
Found 166 pids...
Found process ID 4348 for 'trackerd'
  Terminated process 4348
Found process ID 6624 for 'tracker-indexer'
  Terminated process 6624

Could not get files by MIME type, Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
tracker-update-ontology -c Music -d audio/x-vorbis+ogg -d audio/x-flac+ogg -d audio/x-flac -d application/ogg -d audio/ogg
Tracker status is 'Paused'
Setting up ogg-support (1.1.1) ...
Unknown media type in type 'sketch/png'
I believe I also saw a segmentation fault, though I don't see it in my scrollback.

The machine rebooted, and now the upper left status bar is a pink rectangle, and all of the text consists of small squares. None of the icons are showing, and I'm getting small squares and no icons in all of the menus and apps. In addition, it appears that something is running crazy, top shows me using 88% cpu, and my load average is about 2.64. browserd seems to be using the bulk of the cpu. Also, filesystems are mounted all crazily, the user account cannot write to anything, it all says "Read-only filesystem". I was able to dump the package list as root.

I tried to fix the install (apt-get -f install), but it tells me

Code:
# apt-get -f install
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
A fairly respectable number of directories tell me "Stale NFS file handle":

Code:
ls: /opt/var: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/cssutransitionstuner: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/tracker-cfg: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/battery-eye: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/spbbrainevolution: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/geotodo: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/tickstill: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/swappolube: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/numptyphysics: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/qtm12: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/fapman-cache: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/openmediaplayer: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/someplayer: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/evilalarm: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/share: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/usr: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/CSSUfeatures: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/mobwebmail: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/marble: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/mumble: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/mypaint: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/BatteryGraph: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/maemo: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/pedometerhomewidget: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/modrana: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/fennec-7.0.1: Stale NFS file handle
ls: /opt/pymaemo: Stale NFS file handle
The rest of the directories in /opt seem to be intact.

Now I have a few questions. Given that my problem seems to be with /opt (/home/opt) and several directories being corrupt or otherwise unavailable, restoring from backups (which, at present includes /home/user, /home/user/MyDocs, and /media/mmc1) isn't going to help much. I was going to try to umount /home and fsck it, but there are several processes using dbs in /home/user, and since I can't see anything from the display of the device -- I'm ssh'ed in, the processes keep respawning...

1) Is there a way to recover the device, or at this point, is cutting my losses and reflashing my best option?

2) I haven't reflashed this thing in nearly 3 years. What is the current wisdom on doing so? (in other words, what version of the flasher, the Nokia rom do I need, and what is the path to the latest CSSU? Do I need to step through all of the previous ones?)

I'll admit to being a wee bit nervous with all the changes to Maemo since the last time I flashed it...If there is a way to recover /home?

Thanks,
--vr
sadly, your mmcblk0p2 (optfs) partition is corrupted.
there is very little chance of it being fixed.There are few threads about Stale NFS file errors and corrupted optfs .
My advice would be to completely flash your N900 . Backup your MyDocs data on PC before it gets worse.
The steps are same as before. cssu doesnt affect flashing of N900.
CSSU always needs to be installed later on.

Flasher :http://skeiron.org/tablets-dev/maemo_dev_env_downloads/
Image :http://skeiron.org/tablets-dev/nokia_N900/
Guide :http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raaj13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Stale NFS handle is ian odd thing to see on a local storage such as our optfs. As the acronym suggests, it is something affecting network drives.There have been a few reports - including yours truly - that it fixed itself after a certain time (24 hours or more). I would suggest waiting a day or two before flasing if you can afford it. However chances are stale NSFS handles are not the only FS corruption. If you do not have BackupMenu installed, flashing may still remain your only option.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
The best way to tackle this issue would be from a Linux-PC, may that be running a Live-CD or -USB or even an installed system. You need Backupmenu installed to the N900.

First repair the MyDocs Partition via fsck
Second take a full backup (YES even from the damaged optfs a backup! )
Third try to repair the file system of optfs with fsck, testdisk or gparted.

Do you have backupmenu installed at all?
Do you have an external microSD card or USB-stick to clone optfs to to 'repair' it there to not fumble with the original too much?

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You can create a full backup of optfs without BackupMenu. I have done it once when BackupMenu broke due to some initrd update and I needed to repair my FS. Close all running apps to reduce the risk of the FS changing under your feet and run dd from the command line as root.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: