Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
To cut to the chase, I think this means that Sony phones will be able to run Sailfish without an Android kernel, without libhybris, along with proper linux in general.
Interesting. What was the last phone that ever did that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
Yep, wouldn't really expect anything less from Sony, and they seem to be puzzled as to why they can't make any ground in the smartphone market.
I'm not sure the problem is Sony. They're generally a bit more than a Samsung or a Motorola or an LG but IME they're worth it for the waterproofing, build quality, audio DACs and Sony's light touch on Android that generally improves it rather than detracts from it (cough - Samsung).

The new LG is getting a bit of press for having an optional Bang and Olafson plug in audio DAC but nobody seems to be pointing out Sony have had superb hi-res audio DACs for years.

Audio quality is way more important than camera for me personally.

I see the X performance as a baby flagship, they've reeeeaaaaally neutered the battery on that. Waaay too small.
Disagree. I quite easily get two days use out of my Z1c if you switch on Sony's Stamina mode. I've a Z3c tablet too which does well for battery life. I'm not so concerned about the battery size. IME Sony's do much better in real world usage than other brands for battery life because they've spent some time on software rather than throwing bling at it like Samsung do.

If they think of it as an actual flagship the Z6 better not come with the same capacity battery otherwise I would be really miffed. (mainly because I've decided to wait till that comes out to make a decision), as there isn't a phone out at the moment, that comes out in the UK that I would like to buy to replace my Nexus 5.
Same here. I was hoping for my usual trick of buying the previous year's model when the Z6 comes out, presuming they continue with the Z and the X isn't a replacement. But, the Z5 and Z3+ got the Snapdragon 810 so I might be back to buying a new model - probably a Z6c as I like the compact models.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
To cut to the chase, I think this means that Sony phones will be able to run Sailfish without an Android kernel, without libhybris, along with proper linux in general.
Exactly. I'm presuming also there's at least less hardware adaptation needed if the mainline kernel has support for things like the USB port or sensors. Maybe libhybris/Android doesn't disappear entirely but the reliance on it and HADK work is less and less.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Intel shows 'Big Screen Experience' http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02...gscreen_linux/
So now after Microsoft and Ubuntu - Android + Debian

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Intel shows 'Big Screen Experience' http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02...gscreen_linux/
Good news...let the best man win!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by elastic View Post
The sad thing is, it has been 5 years since we all awed over the Motorola Atrix for doing the same thing. And with all the companies pushing this “convergence” bs, they are still not announcing a laptop docking device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
The sad thing is, it has been 5 years since we all awed over the Motorola Atrix for doing the same thing. And with all the companies pushing this “convergence” bs, they are still not announcing a laptop docking device.
Yes the Motorola Atrix was really ahead of it's time, had a fingerprint sensor, that laptop dock thing, and pretty powerful hardware for it's time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
The X performance neutered battery really put me off getting that (500mah smaller than the Z2), and with the rumour going round that there will be no more Z series phones, it put's me into a dilemma of which phone to get. None come with a force touch like display panel. Samsung are known for being a hard/bad Sailfish port candidate, and LG are known for bad battery life with reasonably big batteries, and now with it being smaller, it doesn't bode well.(I'm aware the S6 battery life was bad/disappointing but they seemed to have fixed it this year by putting the 3000mah battery in it.)

What to do, what to do?

UPDATE: Making the port even harder is that in the UK it comes with the exynos variant. So looks like I'm not getting that then...

Last edited by nh1402; 2016-02-24 at 10:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
MWC press release from Jolla!
https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads..._240216_65.pdf

Jolla announces new Sailfish OS partnership initiatives and unveils Aqua Fish with Intex Technologies

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
OK, no word on turing, but mi-fone collaboration?
Nice, only they do not mentioin sailfish on theyr homepage
http://www.mi-fone.mobi/

Oh gosh nooo... i hate "Super Apps" as new name for partner space
Sounds like.

Last edited by mosen; 2016-02-24 at 09:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: