Howdy all, I hope you don't consider this spam, but I'm having a hard time resisting the temptation to tell you about this. I run a deal site and since the 770 price drop, people have been emailing me asking if I could find sub-150 dollar bluetooth GPS units. Well, I just did. Both technically should work, but if anyone has any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Jeffus; 2007-07-04 at 21:08.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
do you know if the bt-5 works? i have been looking @ it for a while.

Thanks!

The specs are exactly the ones needed to work with the 770 in terms of GPS protocol. I have an Emtac with the exact same specs (a few less, actually), and it works great. Can't make promises though.

Last edited by Jeffus; 2007-07-04 at 21:49.

Works with the Earthmate bluetooth powerpack unit.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
well i have 2 770's. ill give the unit a try and let you all know.

I do mind people using this site to pitch their products, especially when it is something as generic as a Bluetooth GPS. There are already plenty of threads reviewing BT GPS devices known to work with the 770/N800. Sub $150 GPS units are exceedingly common. I haven't paid over $50 for a GPS in years. I bought a Holux M 1000 for $30 on eBay recently, which has an MTK chipset known to perform better and have much better battery life than the generic Sirf III specials you are misusing this forum to hock.

Additionally, this site a Buy & Sell forum and a Deals and Promo's section.

airhurt, the bt-5 is an unbranded unitraq BT-5321R, it seems to have an issue getting a gps fix on my N800, but I created a small script that disconnects then reconnects to the device.. seems to fix the issue for me. I will try it with my 770 and see if it works.

another thing to bear in mind with that unit, it only comes with a car charger... but, since it's a mini usb connector(can't use it as a usb device), you can use a standard cable to charge from your computer, or if you have a power adapter(motorola phone, etc) that works, too.

also, I would just go to http://www.geeks.com under the gps section to make your purchase, bypassing the link above.

Last edited by TitaniumRat; 2007-07-05 at 05:57.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Denver, CO
If you are looking for a cheap Bluetooth GPS get this one.
QSTARZ BT-Q816 32 Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver
( Same as Q818 but smaller batt)

I look all over reading reviews for all types of chipsets. And this one is the bomb. It is better then my friends Garmin SiRFIII chip.

At 54.95$ its killer. Battery life is great super fast GPS fixesand lock ons. It's better then my Magellen Explorist 200.

I purchase mine from below and it came faster then they said. I did 4-6$ ground shipping and it came faster thent there 5-6 claim.

BTW: I use it will my Dell D620 laptop, T-Mobile WING PDA, and N800. No problems what so ever. Only one issue I have with Maemo Mapper when I turn off the bluetooth link it crashes Maemo mapper. No biggy just restart and all is fine.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/qstarz-bt-q...mount-835.aspx

One of the great things about this GPS is the auto off works killer.

Trust me dont look anymore just get this one. I do sick research and this one is every thing that I read about.

Originally Posted by witznitz View Post
If you are looking for a cheap Bluetooth GPS get this one.
QSTARZ BT-Q816 32 Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver
( Same as Q818 but smaller batt)

I look all over reading reviews for all types of chipsets. And this one is the bomb. It is better then my friends Garmin SiRFIII chip.

At 54.95$ its killer. Battery life is great super fast GPS fixesand lock ons. It's better then my Magellen Explorist 200.

I purchase mine from below and it came faster then they said. I did 4-6$ ground shipping and it came faster thent there 5-6 claim.

BTW: I use it will my Dell D620 laptop, T-Mobile WING PDA, and N800. No problems what so ever. Only one issue I have with Maemo Mapper when I turn off the bluetooth link it crashes Maemo mapper. No biggy just restart and all is fine.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/qstarz-bt-q...mount-835.aspx

One of the great things about this GPS is the auto off works killer.

Trust me dont look anymore just get this one. I do sick research and this one is every thing that I read about.
Wow, that's one heck of a review! What kind of battery life are we talking? I like my Emtac a lot, but am always looking for new gear!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TitaniumRat View Post
airhurt, the bt-5 is an unbranded unitraq BT-5321R, it seems to have an issue getting a gps fix on my N800, but I created a small script that disconnects then reconnects to the device.. seems to fix the issue for me. I will try it with my 770 and see if it works.
Thanks, I'll make a note of this on my forum as well.

Last edited by Jeffus; 2007-07-05 at 06:52.