I've had the N810 for 6 months now and have tried out all kinds of customisations and hacks. I try things and then uninstall them, I've even re flashed and reinstalled from a clone but it made very little difference to speed.

So this weekend I backed up my files and reflashed... I then manually installed only the programs that I have used for the last month, and what a difference it has made! The N810 is quick and brilliant once more, I really can't recommend doing this enough.

I even dragged back the reference files for Claws, Skype, Gftp, and Erminig so that I didn't have to re enter information. It took a few hours but was well worth it.

I know have, in no particular order:
Claws mail
Easy debian
OpenSSH
flip clock
The GPE Suite
Load applet
Advanced backlight
console tools
Gftp
Leafpad
Hex a hop
Pidgin
Stardict
Evince
Maemopad plus
Maemo recorder
Wifi info
Xarchiver
Personal menu
Vagalume
Mplayer

And still have 55mb free on the main drive! I never got above 20mb with all the other stuff I used to install.

Just need to find Xournal again and I will be set.

Hopefully this might help someone else.

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to Rassilon7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Perhaps your list is more informative as to what you DON'T have listed!

I have TWO (2) N800's.

One has all of my applications on it the other is essentially BARE (OS only).

The difference in speed between them is significant and agrees with your observations.

Too much installing/uninstalling applications which may or may not be "well-behaved" (in terms of cleaning up after themselves!) can have a negative affect on performance.

There are one or two applications that I have on my "fully-loaded" N800 which I suspect are the main culprits in some of my problems: speed during browsing and making a reliable WiFi connection. I won't mention them here as I haven't been able to draw a conclusion yet.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Xournal isn't in diablo extras yet... You'll need to add the chinook extras repository in order for it to show up as installable. Although, you might want to disable it after you install xournal. It could cause some library problems.
http://repository.maemo.org/extras
chinook
free non-free
(I don't remember what the field names are, and I'm too lazy to get my tablet and look :P)

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Perhaps your list is more informative as to what you DON'T have listed!

I have TWO (2) N800's.

One has all of my applications on it the other is essentially BARE (OS only).

The difference in speed between them is significant and agrees with your observations.

Too much installing/uninstalling applications which may or may not be "well-behaved" (in terms of cleaning up after themselves!) can have a negative affect on performance.

There are one or two applications that I have on my "fully-loaded" N800 which I suspect are the main culprits in some of my problems: speed during browsing and making a reliable WiFi connection. I won't mention them here as I haven't been able to draw a conclusion yet.
Wouldn't an apt-get clear cache (or some command like that) clear up the install/uninstall app problem?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
that would only clear out the backup deb files. and those are stored on the internal memory card these days.

there is a apt-get autoremove that will clean out libs that are not used by any installed apps, iirc.

i have lately noticed that my tablet virtually hangs when working with the app manager. im starting to wonder if whatever database the package system uses, has gotten fragmented or something...

Got Xournal, Thanks

Part of my problem was not knowing what I could safely remove. There where lots of dependancies which don't identify themselves well.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
that would only clear out the backup deb files. and those are stored on the internal memory card these days.

there is a apt-get autoremove that will clean out libs that are not used by any installed apps, iirc.

i have lately noticed that my tablet virtually hangs when working with the app manager. im starting to wonder if whatever database the package system uses, has gotten fragmented or something...
Run apt-get update from the command line. Should help you identify the problem repository.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i do not think its a repo thats at fault, as it seems to trigger when all the repos have been "updated" and the info is to be integrated with existing data...

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
i do not think its a repo thats at fault, as it seems to trigger when all the repos have been "updated" and the info is to be integrated with existing data...
I just realised mine is slower than it used to be too.
I do seem to have too many repos, possibly some duplicates which I've heard can cause issues.