Originally Posted by freeman View Post
Sorry, for the late response, I work the late shift. Yes I know about the 2 timer settings that have to be equal, but that is not the point. Let's say I read e-mail/rss, it's okey for the system top drop the brightness w/o turning off the screen when it time out. But if I hit the power combo buttons, that mean mean I did that on purpose, I want to put it away, and therefore it make more sense to pretty much shut everything down w/o powering off. While letting it timeout doesn't neccessary mean you want to put the unit away. That's why the two settings shouldn't be the same, but there should be a shortcut key to do what the 770 does when the cover is on.
So the short version is that you're _only_ talking about the bug (well, considered enough of a bug that it's been reported as one long ago already) with the timeout settings having to be equal? Or am I missing something?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
So the short version is that you're _only_ talking about the bug (well, considered enough of a bug that it's been reported as one long ago already) with the timeout settings having to be equal? Or am I missing something?
NO, what I'm saying is that the setting is still valid, it could be equal or independent as they want, but there should be another setting in the menu that pretty much turn the unit into deep sleep.

Well, with the two timeouts set equal, and wi-fi turned off, then pressing those two buttons is as much deep sleep as you can get, certainly as much as you got with the 770 case mechanism. I bet the 770 wouldn't last more than 10 days in that mode either.

Updated issue, well, got myself into another problem again.
Sometime, when I wake the unit up from the "softpoweroff", the system doesn't recognize any of the buttons on the left, which mean I can't get back into the system, and I cannot turn it off again. And if I remove the battery, it will corrupt the /home directory. What's the your workaround?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
HI!

Interesting thread IMO. I've applied the softpoweroff trick for a while but I've noticed that when I (long)press the power on/off button, the screen switch off (no problem!) but then immediately switch on for less than 1 sec. to re-switch off by itself :-/ Anyone having noticed the same?

TIA.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Xyzo View Post
HI!

Interesting thread IMO. I've applied the softpoweroff trick for a while but I've noticed that when I (long)press the power on/off button, the screen switch off (no problem!) but then immediately switch on for less than 1 sec. to re-switch off by itself :-/ Anyone having noticed the same?

TIA.
Yep, me. It generally goes away after some time, or after a reboot. I think it's related to the crappiness of the Media Player.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
Updated issue, well, got myself into another problem again.
Sometime, when I wake the unit up from the "softpoweroff", the system doesn't recognize any of the buttons on the left, which mean I can't get back into the system, and I cannot turn it off again. And if I remove the battery, it will corrupt the /home directory. What's the your workaround?
If I pop out camera, it seems to reset button lock.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by mve View Post
If I pop out camera, it seems to reset button lock.
I have been having the same problem a few times, will keep your camera trick in mind.

wrote a quickk script to do a real suspend when the screen turns off
http://mbm.openwrt.org/n800/suspend.sh

The Following User Says Thank You to mbm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Originally Posted by Xyzo View Post
...but then immediately switch on for less than 1 sec. to re-switch off by itself :-/ Anyone having noticed the same?
Yes, I think I reported the same thing first in this thread. This happens only if I release the power button close to the 1000ms (or whatever is specified in the file). My solution is to keep it pushed for a bit longer and this prevents the brief comeback of the screen.