Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
I did wonder about one thing.. what about bluetooth.. You can set wireless to timeout after 5 minutes (if you don't set it to auto scan), but what about bluetooth? I use my keyboard a lot, but when I have it locked I want that off too.

I post to this thread because its currently active
The Bluetooth plugin is incredibly badly implemented on the N800 -- probably because Nokia thought they could improve on the excellent community-developed BT applet on the 770.

The result was -- in hindsight predictably -- disastrous: on the 770 you could turn off BT and the applet would grey out, but stay on the menu bar of the home screen. On the N800, if you turn off BT, you have to go through Control Panel every freakin' time to turn it back on again.

Way to go, Nokia. Idjits!

That blows.. but thanks for letting me know.

Looks like for me its still faster to go offline mode then lock screen and keys. What does softpoweroff buy me over that?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
That blows.. but thanks for letting me know.

Looks like for me its still faster to go offline mode then lock screen and keys. What does softpoweroff buy me over that?
screen blacks out and locks immediately (well, it does on my tablet; see the bug on different timeouts). The two-button shutdown has a strange quirk: if I play a movie and shut down via the menu (powerkey, enter key), my screen will not black out completely and will not lock. The tablet needs a certain amount of time to sort itself out before the menu-standby will work again. I don't get this with softpoweroff.

Also, powering up the device doesn't need two keypresses, just the long keypress on the power key.

Gotcha.. so maybe offline mode, long press (softpower off)

Gotcha.. so maybe offline mode, long press (softpower off)
No! The default action linked to [longkeypress] of the powerkey is shutdown. You have to edit a configuration file to give it the softpoweroff action.

Please see the thread I hinted at earlier.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I gave a link to the "softpoweroff" thread a few entries back (on page 1 of this thread)...

Originally Posted by 9a6or View Post
I gave a link to the "softpoweroff" thread a few entries back (on page 1 of this thread)...
Yeah, I'm always slow.

Sorry, for the late response, I work the late shift. Yes I know about the 2 timer settings that have to be equal, but that is not the point. Let's say I read e-mail/rss, it's okey for the system top drop the brightness w/o turning off the screen when it time out. But if I hit the power combo buttons, that mean mean I did that on purpose, I want to put it away, and therefore it make more sense to pretty much shut everything down w/o powering off. While letting it timeout doesn't neccessary mean you want to put the unit away. That's why the two settings shouldn't be the same, but there should be a shortcut key to do what the 770 does when the cover is on.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
That's why the two settings shouldn't be the same, but there should be a shortcut key to do what the 770 does when the cover is on.
You might want to add a comment or vote for bug #943 in that case.